Phone storage solution

Baroda5

Reaction score
I apologize if I've missed a post with a solution to this, but I'm still searching for the best place to have my phone near me at the helm, but not in the direct heat.  I just saw this head unit and wondered if anyone has any input on it?  Its the Fusion MS-UD650 and it has an integrated phone dock inside.  Looks pretty slick to me, but I haven't researched it too much either.

g917UD650-o_samsumgphone.jpg

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_917UD650/FUSION-MS-UD650.html?tp=61742&awkw=119092228825&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=62213168185&awdv=c&awug=9017334

That's pretty slick.

The only problem is, mine came with the old style apple  30 pin connection ,not the lightning .I did buy a lightning adapter .

I didn't use it last summer I used usb thumb drives instead 

Where are you going to mount it? I keep my phone in the seat back net. I was going to install a small storage bin below the throttle but trading it now. One nice "upgrade" on the G (trading R with elevated helm) is the storage bin ....  :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, I guess it would replace my deck inside the helm, I have the remote on the dash, but I haven't got that far along in the thought process.  we are heading to the Grand Rapids boat show this Saturday, so I'll check out the G storage bin.  Seems like 1 year is a long time these days before PADS strikes again!!   B)

Here's what it looks like on G helm. Below the wheel  

/monthly_2017_02/large.IMG_0401.PNG.09440fb3006b5bb832de6dd479002662.PNG

The only difference in that helm over ours from '14 (other than raised helm) is the radio is on the left (port side) and the lowrance fish finder is on the right (starboard side) of the wheel.  Gauges - switches - speaker location - wheel all look the same.  It even has the crappy location cup holder just in front of the throttle handle (the only thing we really didn't care for on our boat) as with a large drink (think micky d's cup) in there you get about half throttle max.

That cup holder is the "fuel consumption limiting device"  :p

I was able to solve that IndianLakeBum by using that cup holder to hold a tall thin can of Mich Ultra and then using the usb cable I drop my phone on the floor and cover it with my shirt

I solved the cupholder issue by going old school.  For full throttle simply hold the large cup in the other hand or between your legs like the good old days.  Back when seat belts were an option and you didn't have 12 cup holders all over the place in your car.  

Yes I'm an antique.....but I prefer vintage since that sounds cooler.

That cup holder is the "fuel consumption limiting device"  :p

For me, it was destroy the red solo cup and clean up the adult beverage mess.  Now I have the cup in one deck shoe and the phone in the other.  Both are out of the sun and stable. 

For me, it was destroy the red solo cup and clean up the adult beverage mess.  Now I have the cup in one deck shoe and the phone in the other.  Both are out of the sun and stable. 

Isn't your floor hot! 

Isn't your floor hot?!?  :p

Isn't your floor hot?!?  :p

The floor area at the corner of the helm and the starboard fence is shaded by the fence, the helm and helm seat.

I was able to solve that IndianLakeBum by using that cup holder to hold a tall thin can of Mich Ultra and then using the usb cable I drop my phone on the floor and cover it with my shirt

This is probably better option ....  :lol:
beer_hat_thirst_aid_helmet_novelty_drinking_gadget.png

That's my backup

Last edited by a moderator:
Back