Photos!

Looks like a good time and the boat looks sharp!

Hey Parzival...I'm sending you a PM. I have a question about your trailer and don't want to hijack the thread.

Had some fun this weekend cruising around PDX.
I love that last photo.  Benny on the beach.  All to yourself.  No one else around.  I love those times, especially when out by myself.  Any stress just melts away.

I looked through your other photos (thanks for posting) and noticed a couple things.  First, from the angle of the photo, you were probably coming into the dock.  Always remove your fenders/bumpers when underway (not docking).  I forget this occasionally, but they can bang around, especially the ones in the back, and put unnecessary wear on the sharkhide or dent fences worst case.  The other comment is it looks like the wife is on the rear deck while at no wake, which is fine as long as you know she's there.  If you didn't know she was there, and you decided to gun the throttle, she falls back, grabs the ski bar, gets spun around the back side of the motor, and gets into a prop turning full RPMs.  Again, from the stuff in the background of the photo, looks like you were in a no-wake zone, but I just had to mention this for sake of keeping everyone safe.  Anytime you are underway, make sure she tells you if she goes outside the fence for any reason.  I have not heard any stories on the forum about members getting hurt.  Hope to keep it that way.  So again, not that anything was done wrong, just explain to the wife (if you haven't) what could happen so she can prevent it by letting you know.  That's one thing I don't like about teenagers sitting in the rear lounger behind me on our boat - I can't watch them all the time.  And teenagers haven't been alive long enough to have the common sense that comes with life lessons, if you know what I mean.  I don't mean any of this to be insulting. Some people take it the wrong way, but most appreciate the safety reminders.  I do when those comments are directed at me.  If someone gets mad at me because they think I'm insulting, as long as it makes them think twice and might prevent an accident, then I'm good with them being mad.

Nice looking boat!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points Kaydano.  That photo with my wife back there was from the first time we had the boat out by ourselves.  Being new boaters, we're at the very bottom of a very large learning curve.  We're definitely going to implement a rule from now on that no one can be outside the playpen with the motor running.

As far as docking, we were.  I have forgotten the fenders several times while cruising, so you're right there.  I've taken to now trying to always dock on the starboard side and to add an additional fender right near the console, draping some of the excess rope across the console.  This is my low tech "hey idiot, the fenders are still out" reminder.   :)

I still leave fenders out occasionally.

And I forget to put the ladder up once in a while, but I'm getting a LOT better at it now that its the kids' job to put it up when they get in!!!

Be safe.  Go slow.  Have fun.

Just back from 5 days and 4 nights out on the boat. Crazy weather forecast but my wife's brother was hell bent on not canceling. Turned out great though. Found a sheltered campsite with almost no wind under an ephemeral 300' waterfall and got to see some amazing flash flooding first hand. I've been dreaming about seeing this stuff from the boat for a while. 

IMG_9780.jpg

IMG_9747.jpg

As always bcpnick, amazing photos.  Love it

You guys must be getting sick of all my pics of sandstone by now, but here are a few more from the last trip...

Camp from below

glen-canyon-may-2015-16.jpg

Camp from above

glen-canyon-may-2015-41.jpg

The fish

glen-canyon-may-2015-28.jpg

Happy wife

glen-canyon-may-2015-54.jpg

Happy dogs

glen-canyon-may-2015-34.jpg

If you want to see more, or read about this latest outing, I posted a trip report on my website here: http://backcountrypost.com/threads/crystal-springs-and-beyond.4699/

And here's a little video clip of the flash flooding we encountered if you don't click through for the trip report. 

Never tired of them. We love all the greenery and color of our Midwest too but your photos and that scenery are incredible. Keep 'em coming!

Agreed with gnc

Yup! Keep them coming.

Post away brother !!! They are awesome !!!

Third season. 2012. East TN.

The latest Google 'upgrade' to their photos app has kept me from posting as many photos here on the Bennington forum. Long story, but I found a work around. Here's a few from the last trip. :)

Our camp after a rain storm. The new enclosure was a dream! Although it does get mighty warm in there when the sun comes out.

IMG_1200.jpg

After the storms one afternoon, we went cruising and saw dozens of amazing waterfalls still coming down. 

IMG_1272.jpg

Cruising in the enclosure on a damp, windy evening was actually VERY nice! Here's a video while driving with it on in case you missed it: https://youtu.be/UFZ_iDB45uY

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

It was just me, three ladies and three dogs on this trip. There the ladies are watching the icebergs form behind the boat just as the big flash flood was getting going. 

IMG_1589.jpg

And this is my favorite picture from the flood. If you missed my other thread on it, all the white stuff in that muddy torrent is hail. 

IMG_1687-Pano.jpg

I posted a full trip report with more photos on my website if anyone is interested. Aside from the flash flood of ice and getting stuck in the canyon by icebergs, we also had a really close call with a rattlesnake that had gotten washed into the lake by the flooding. Two in our group, as well as a half dozen kids from another group swam right by it before we noticed it. And it was pissed! We stuck my boat pole down there and he bit it instantly. Not the best picture of him, but there he is. 

IMG_1920.jpg

Sweet photos Nick. Damn snakes!

wow Nick 20mph and the enclosure was not rattling.  Is it attached at the bimini via zipper and attaches to the snaps?

Amazing pics! Thanks for sharing.

wow Nick 20mph and the enclosure was not rattling.  Is it attached at the bimini via zipper and attaches to the snaps?
Exactly. Zippers across the top and between each panel, then snaps around the boat. We had 60-70mph wind gusts one day and it held up great through that too. All of our tents got damaged and the boat ended up like 3/4 on dry ground, but the enclosure held up great! 

Beautiful pics, but jeez I hate big snakes.

We get smaller water snakes sometimes around the rocks on our seawalls, and swimming off into the shallows. Fortunately ours in NE Indiana are mostly harmless, but it does creep people out when one zips by them in the water.

Back