Pickwick Lake-Tennessee River

We are just down river on Kentucky lake, been wanting to lock up onto Pickwick, maybe this summer we will... biggest problem is gas is scarce once you get south of Clifton TN and around Savannah

Brian

Brian,

It is 34 miles (on land) from Clifton to Counce, which is where Pickwick is. There are 3 marinas there and all sell fuel. Of course you have to go through the locks to get there. Only one restaurant on the water, which is the Pickwick state park. Food is good.

Royo

Bamaman,

How far is it from Wilson lake to Pickwick? Bamaman indicate football preference or residence?

Royo

From dam to dam is 53 miles. There's no fuel from Bear Creek to Florence, but any boat should make it. Wilson Dam to Wheeler Dam is just 16 miles.

We see many Pickwick boats going upriver on Fridays heading for Joe Wheeler State Park Marina, just past Wheeler dam. On Sunday, we'll see big boats throwing the throttle to make into Wilson Locks to get back into Pickwick.

Of course, I'm an Alabama football fan. In Basketball, I'm a University of Memphis fan and alumni.

Wilson Lake has me spoiled. We have 140,000 people and the society and restaurants that comes with a big city. But in 5 minutes, you can be "On Golden Pond." And the lake is wide, deep and has absolutely fantastic residences on both sides of the river. What's especially nice is that our water has a maximum 3' rise and fall per year, so we can have seawalls and fixed docks/boathouses. The average boathouse on the lake has a concrete deck and concrete over the boathouse--and costs as much as the boat in it. Our largemouth fishing is one notch below Pickwick, but we're #1 in both smallmouth and catfish in the U.S.

Bamaman

Sounds nice, I plan to make the trip sometime this summer. I've been a Tennessee fan forever, but went to Auburn for grad school.

We have a 2275 GCW with a 150 Yahama and love it. We spend a lot of time in coves just hanging out, but I really want to see what is up and down the river.

Royo: 

We put in at McFarland Park 10 days ago, and ran the complete length of Pickwick and back to Florence--125 miles.  I have not been around the dam and Yellow Creek since moving to Nashville (from Memphis) 26 years ago.

I was very impressed at the size and quality of housing in the Counce area.  Many of the huge houses are actually second homes, and I would think most of the owners live in East Memphis.  Let me just say I'd hate to pay their property taxes.  And, I have no idea where that much money comes from.

We had a great day on the water, with blue skies and the water like glass.  Things have been very quiet on the water since the kids went back to school and the university students left for college.

Your trip sounds like fun.  Have trouble getting away for that long, my wife still works and travels a bunch.  This summer she has had multiple trips to Oakland, CA and Mexico City and for the rest of the year she will continue those trips and go to China and Denmark.  The plan is for her to retire in 2015 and to that end we bought a lot on Yellow Creek last month.  We have a house at Pickwick, but not on the water.  We will sell both the one in Memphis and Pickwick and build one on the new lot.

There are some monster homes there.  Lots on the water are running 100,000 to 1,000,000.  We bought in a new subdivision on Yellow Creek that has only one house and was caught up in the economy so we got a real deal.

If you make the trip again let me know and maybe we can meet for lunch.

Roy

Hi Bubbaw, 

Good to hear from you. I was beginning to think that with the  number of Benningtons on Pickwick nobody had joined the Forum.  We have a 2012 2275 GCW and keep it at Aqua Yacht.  Do you live there full time or like us and live there most weekends? 

Do you live there full time or like us and live there most weekends? 
Hello Royo,

My wife and I live in Shiloh Falls subdivision full time. We have been here about 2 yrs, moved from the Bartlett TN area.

We dock our toon here at the Shiloh Falls marina. We bought our Benn 3 wks ago and it is the first watercraft for both of us. I am enjoying the heck out of it and it helps that I retired last June. Gives me plenty of tinkering time with our 2009, 2577 with a 250 Yamaha.

The dang spider marks are a pain in the arse due to neglect but she is shining up real nice with a little elbow grease and mean green

Bubba :)

Last edited by a moderator:
New to forum and a new (to me anyway) Bennington owner. My wife and I live in east Memphis but have a lake house at Pickwick  Lake (North Shore). Look forward to this summer. Our boat is a  2006 2250RL Tri-Toon with Strakes, Shield, Fosgate, 150 Honda. Have enjoyed reading the forum and all the info for the last few months. I'm thinking a mirror will be our next addition to our unit.

Stan

Stan, we need to see pics or it ain't true ..... :)

Stan:  Memphians really should have looked at the housing next lake up river. 

The Shoals is 50 miles on the other side of Corinth, and It takes maybe 20 minutes longer to get here from Memphis.  Wilson Lake has absolutely incredible houses on the water--at much cheaper prices than Pickwick. 

Throw in 2% sales taxes on boats (and cars) and property taxes are at least 1/4th that of Pickwick.  And we have chain restaurants,  a mall and a large city 5 minutes from the water.

My 18 years living in Memphis, I couldn't wait for 5:00 p.m. on Fridays to get the heck out of town.  I'd get here in the Summer to see the sun set across 6 miles of open water.  My father watched that sunset nightly and it's like living on the ocean.

Now you tell me.  HAHA actually we are selling our house at the present time. I don't think I could talk the wife into leaving our Pickwick friends (had a house there for 11 yrs). We have a 2001 Harris with a 100 but just upgraded to the Benny. (I know pics to follow). I'll start checking out real estate there though. Any links are welcome. Stan

I'm a new member AND a new Bennington owner. Looks like no one has posted here in awhile, although I see a lot of Bennys cruising around Pickwick. We had a Fisher 24' 2-log pontoon with 115 hp for a long time, but always wanted a Bennington. Finally got one and absolutely love it. Economy Mike gave in, although my wife may have influenced the decision. :) Our place is on Bear Creek. We have met some really good people here over the years. I hope to see everyone's Bennington on the water soon. Be safe.

How bout specs and pics ... it’s mandatory you know .. ;):D:D

Hi SEMPERFI8387. Thank you for your service to our country. Our oldest son served in the Corps from 1999-2004. Best thing that ever happened to him. They changed him from a hopeless under-achiever to a young man that any father would be proud to call both "son" and "friend." Deployed several times including Operation Enduring Freedom. Now he serves and protects our civilian population. Driven. Focused. Mature. That's him today. The boat is a 2018 G25, the last one of that vintage on the lot at Paul Seaton in Counce, TN. That's why I got such a good deal (hence the name Economy Mike...bestowed upon me by my kids. You would think I never paid for their private school and college tuitions!) Floor plan is GSRC, just like the 2019 version of that model except that it has a starboard gate just in front of the helm, which is where we put our cooler(s). It is also handy at the fuel dock because the fuel inlet is on that side. It has the Kicker KMC10 Stereo upgrade, blue-light speakers, GPS speedometer with compass heading, 11 ft Bimini curved top with Blue Ice LED lighting, perforated Firecracker interior accent, custom steering wheel upgrade with piano black accents, 2 rectangular tables with zebrawood slate, portable cupholders, reclining helm chair with booster, sport upholstery upgrade, Sport Performance System Plus (.100), in-floor storage, twin batteries with master power switch, Yamaha saltwater anode package, stainless housing dock lights, ski tow bar, and seagrass slate full flooring. It came with a Striker 4 fish graph, but that is being upgraded to the Simrad GO5 like you have. It has decks both fore and aft outside the fencing. Hull weight is 3,298. I had the dealer upgrade the 200 hp with a 250 since the boat is rated for it. I need to devise an easier way to raise the ladder...kind of a pain to reach way down and grab a lower rung. Otherwise, I like everything about it. All of these pics were taken at the dealer. It may never be that clean again. LOL! This boat will see duty as a cruiser, tuber and crappie troller. Still in the break-in period, but the guy at Paul Seaton says it will do 50 mph. Curious to find out. Well, have a great weekend.

Back