Pics up. Swim ladder strap fix...

the-little-B

Reaction score
Well it didnt last on my first Bennington and on the new one my swim ladder strap broke a snap on the 6th use. My only complaint on the new boat and it's no big deal but really? 6 uses and it's trash? Come on! Charge me an extra few bucks and put a fastener on the thing that actually works...

So anyway , rant over.

I do think I've found a pretty easy and inexpensive fix that should last. A rubber draw latch. I've found them with stainless brackets and a couple of rivets or screws to mount one and it's a done deal. Just need to do some measuring when I get home and make an order. $6 - $9 for the fix depending on the size.

I'm sure there are others that need a fix for theirs as well so maybe this will help. Or if there are other ideas for the fix , what did you use?

71cChQegzbL._SX425_.jpg

I have a snap kit and just keep replacing the snap cap, mine broke a couple of trips out first season. Use some chapstick on the snap as a lube.

My strap broke the first season also. Bought a new one from dealer and has been good ever since.

Mine broke once and a local canvas dealer made me a new one and said no charge. I stopped by later with a six pack of Mich Ultra

Mine broke after just a few uses but I found that the ladder stays up without it.

Mine broke after just a few uses but I found that the ladder stays up without it.

With that 250 Merc Verado on the back of your boat it still stays up? lol

Mine broke once and a local canvas dealer made me a new one and said no charge. I stopped by later with a six pack of Mich Ultra

But what did you bring for him????

My strap broke the first season also. Bought a new one from dealer and has been good ever since.

Same here. First one didn't last long. Second one is still working. Maybe they had a bad batch I had not thought the ladder would stay put without one. I'll have to check that out sometime.

5th trip out the snap broke on mine too. It's not a big deal, but being one of the premier pontoon boats at a premium price I would expect a little more quality. Small Bungee strap will have to work for now.

So far our strap has held up going into our second season. Fingers crossed on its longevity.

My first strap lasted a year or two. Current strap has had heavy use for the last 5-6 years.

When dry, my ladder has a lot of "stick" to it and would probably stay up on its own without a strap, but when it's wet, it would slip right out of position.

4th year on the lake... snap&strap are fine... WHY did I have to post that??? My strap is doomed. :):););)

That's a clean simple fix! Velcro never even crossed my mind. I have a stainless/rubber draw latch on the way and should be able to tack it on yet this week. If it fits , I'll post a pic when it's done.

Well I spoke too soon, My strap broke this weekend, I new I should have kept my mouth shut!!

Next you’ll say you never hit the lottery ..... ;)

Dang it anyway! I know fixing the snap would be cheap and easy but it's just gonna happen again sooner or later and that's why I'm going to try the rubber draw latch...

Got the ladder issue resolved today. Works great! Won't be any more broken snaps anymore! I mounted it the way I did so the cup end wasn't on the ladder where someone could slip and rake a leg or foot over it.

The hardware on these are stainless and for what it's holding seems to be plenty strong. The one pic is the package from Pegasus Racing where I got it from showing a part number if anyone else wants to do this.

IMG_20180713_172049~2.jpg IMG_20180713_172103~2.jpg IMG_20180713_172307~2.jpg

Back