Pics up. Swim ladder strap fix...

Thanks for sharing and the pictures!

Thanks for sharing and the pictures!

No problem! Hope it helps.
And for an update...the draw latch works perfectly! There really isn't any weight to hold but it does hold the ladder taught vs the little bit of movement you get with the strap set up.

We still have the original strap on our 2004 R .......

Ours is the original strap also (2013). The only issue we ever had was the snap came off the strap the second season and my dealer just gave me a few replacements - no charge. Easy fix and no problems since. I still have several of the snaps in my toolbox.

Probably the same material as yours: braided nylon of some sort.

Our strap broke within two months of using the boat. All it takes is some lunkhead not being aware that there is a strap on there and yanking the ladder down. Same thing happened on my BILs Bennington twice. Being a DIYer, I decided to make something a bit more sturdy and still elegant. I was able to reuse the holes that were already drilled for the strap. The catch engages snugly on a vinyl bushing. Another vinyl bushing on the pivot end insures the catch doesn't just dangle. It stays in whatever position you put it in.

Attachments

• lever.jpeg
    lever.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 54
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 59
  • engaged.jpg
    engaged.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 55
Love it! Nice job

Our strap broke within two months of using the boat. All it takes is some lunkhead not being aware that there is a strap on there and yanking the ladder down. Same thing happened on my BILs Bennington twice. Being a DIYer, I decided to make something a bit more sturdy and still elegant. I was able to reuse the holes that were already drilled for the strap. The catch engages snugly on a vinyl bushing. Another vinyl bushing on the pivot end insures the catch doesn't just dangle. It stays in whatever position you put it in.

That’s a great solution. Much more robust. That is a neat but simple item I bet you could market.

Did you make the lever arm or is it something I can purchase? I too had a lunkhead this weekend and would prefer replacing with your solution

Did you make the lever arm or is it something I can purchase? I too had a lunkhead this weekend and would prefer replacing with your solution

I made it. I'm not sure if I could make them for sale. Not all the ladders are the same, and the holes in both parts of the ladder may be different distances. I think that's why Bennington uses the strap.

Back