Pitting on bottom of toons.

Remediation

Reaction score
Lake Cumberland KY - White Oak Community Dock
First time boating this year.  Saturday was nice.  Floating in the water in the afternoon and grabbed the scotchbrite pad to check the toons.  The boat was been stored out of the water for the last season.  Feel that the very bottom of the toons have pitted (there is no growth on them).  The sides that are underwater are clean and smooth.  The first 3 years of it's life the boat was on the Cumberland river 12 months a year.  My thought(guess) was the boat didn't get cleaned regularly and growth might have been on it long enough to eat into the aluminum on the parts that never saw sunshine.  I got curious and looked at the underside of the strakes and they have no pitting.  The pitting is not where the toons rest on the trailer, it is on the very bottom.  I know that the drag is slowing us down and it is not really fixable, but just curious why some of the aluminium pitted and other pieces didn't. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ours Pitted after 2 weeks in the water last year brand new with shark hide protectant.  ??? Got me Im not very happy about it, my brother has a lund fishing boat from 1987 and it shows no signs of pitting and it has spent countless summers in the water! I guess like every think else they are just built cheaper now??

Generally pitting is caused by stray electrical current around your dock, or by contact with dissimilar metals, such as copper.

Do either of you leave your boat in a slip? 

Our slip has no electric on it.  The first 3 years I don't know for sure but it was at a boat club so I assume it was at a slip full time.  I don't understand why only some of the aluminium is pitted.  If it was electrical, won't all of the metal that was in the water have pitting? 

Did you buy it used? If so, Is it possible the previous owner was running it onto a rough beach surface and that's what you feel?

That's some very interesting stuff. And there's a "Q" in the literature.

Did you buy it used? If so, Is it possible the previous owner was running it onto a rough beach surface and that's what you feel?
I did buy it used.  The pitting is on the back 3rd of the toons.  I don't think it is a wear or damage issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back