Playpen canvas modification

Airlifter

Reaction score
I have just moved into a marina that is setup to extend only to the port side door.  Some have mentioned this is a finger dock design.  I have contacted a Canvas shop that can make individual covers for all seats on my 21SLXP for for $$$.  I think I can have the front playpen set back to the forward fence.  I have the extended bow and with the setback I'll be able to board the boat.  The canvas will have a additional zipper at the bow gate and hopefully I can have clips sewn into the canvas and not need snaps.  

So the reason you are doing this is because you won't be able to walk around the full length of the boat to install/or take the cover off right?!? There must be another way. Because even if you have the individual seat covers made there will be a large part of your boat that won't be protected and the sun will kill it in the long run. Rails, fencing and floor to name a few.....

Swingback,

Went to the Marina today and have looked at your suggestion.  Its a possibility to do just that and back in like the Big boats.  

Big Kahuna,

You bring up a valid point with the removing the playpen cover.  The toons with individual covered seats in the Marina are no longer pretty and look weathered.  Especially the sun beaten flooring.  I'll either back in to the slip or modify the forward portion of the playpen to access the bow with my extended forward deck.  Option 1 no additional expense.  Option 2 some expense but nearly as costly then Option 3 and new seat covers to replace the playpen cover.

My neighbor uncovers his rolling front to rear with the roll going from side to side, not front to back. Looks like it takes a little longer but you should be able to do it that way.  The way he does it you wouldn't even need side access.  He unsnaps the front and starts the width wide roll. 

My neighbor uncovers his rolling front to rear with the roll going from side to side, not front to back. Looks like it takes a little longer but you should be able to do it that way.  The way he does it you wouldn't even need side access.  He unsnaps the front and starts the width wide roll. 

That's the way I do it with my finger slip, also on the port side.  I unsnap a couple snaps in the port bow area until I can stand on the extended bow, and I unsnap the rest of the bow and then each side back and forth while rolling the cover from front to back, pulling the poles as I go.  When I get to the aft deck I fold the now-rolled cover over in thirds and it fits just right under a seat.  I reverse the process putting the cover back on, installing the poles as I go.  Usually my wife and I do both uncovering and covering together, with each of us taking a side.  Works great. 

Back