Playpen cover on when trailering ?

Hoss

Reaction score
Does anybody keep there Playpen cover on when trailering a long distance. And does it rub on anything. Need some advice on that subject and what you do .. Thanks Hoss

I seem to recall being told not to trailer with the cover on for long distances or at highway speeds. When I tow to the lake it has been with the cover off. When I towed to the dealer for winterizing - only about 5 miles - I left the cover on.

Shawn

I was also told NOT to trailer with cover on.

Todd

I was told by the dealer do not travel with the cover on because it will rub up front on the side skirts.

But I believe Bennington recommends traveling with the cover on for better towing, heard this on this site or read it in the owners manual, but I do not travel with it on.

I have always purchased "road covers for every boat I have owned. My Bennington is the first one to come with a cover from the factory with a cover. I tow with it on. If I don't, the lounger back pops up and looks like it is going to rip off.

I have always purchased "road covers for every boat I have owned. My Bennington is the first one to come with a cover from the factory with a cover. I tow with it on. If I don't, the lounger back pops up and looks like it is going to rip off.
Okay, seriously? I always have to tow my boat to go anywhere, and I just ordered the 2275RCW, and I sure don't want my frigging seat to fly up!! Damn, your scaring the crappie out of me! Haha, any other GCW or RCW people have this issue, and what do you do to solve it?

Thanks, Derrick

Commodore

Group:Administrators

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

Here are a few helpful tips to help extend the life of your bimini top and playpen cover.

PROPER STORAGE:

We recommend storing your bimini top in the radar position with the boot zipped completely into place. This helps prevent wind, sun and foul weather damage over time. Remember...your top is comparable to a large market umbrella...keep it buttoned up when not in use!

When the playpen cover is fully installed, Bennington "forces" the proper storage position of your bimini top by not offering forward strut cut-outs in the playpen cover. (An ah-ha moment!)

Use all tent poles under your playpen cover, and tighten them securely. The playpen cover helps keep your boat dry and clean, but it is not 100% moisture proof and it is NOT a winter weather cover. A playpen cover is not designed to support heavy piles of snow and ice, or any other additional weight. Owners in severe winter climates should consider inside storage or shrinkwarp each winter.

PROPER CLEANING:

Cleaning your bimini top and storage cover regularly will help maintain that "new boat" look. The fabric can be cleaned to prevent soil build-up by simply brushing off any loose dirt and hosing down with fresh water. (Sunny days help it dry more quickly!) For dirt build-up, use a mild detergent (like dish soap) and fresh warm water. Never use solvents to clean the canvas.

303 High Tech Fabric Guard is a wonderful product to help protect your clean, dry canvas. We found it at West Marine and Overtons.com.

HAULING WITH CANVAS:

If you are hauling your Bennington, be sure the bimini top is locked in the radar position or trailering-strut position with the boot securely in place. Be sure the playpen cover is securely fastened with all snaps in place to avoid wind whip. Use common sense when hauling! The playpen cover fabric is durable enough for towing, but if you are planning a long-distance trip at 60 mph, you should consider shrink-wrap. Please review your state's boat trailering laws for more information.

I trailer alot and I always remove the cover, any seats that are not hinged down, lower the bimini top to the lower strut position and remove anything else that might fly out. It is not fun having something blow out on the highway that would cause you to have to pull over or possibly cause an accident.

The tag on my cover says that towing with the cover on will void the warranty...

Thanks for all the advice new to this pontoon thing and love all the advice that all you great members give... Thanks Hoss

The seams are weak to begin with on the playpen cover, I never trailer with the cover on. Going down the hi-way would be way to much stress on the cover, shorten the life and get you early leaking problems. It;s not a badly made cover just not something sewn and constructed well enough to put up with trailering forces.

Does anyone have any recommendations on keeping the seats clean while towing. I picked my new 2275RCWL up last week and trailered it about 2 1/2 hours. The bugs were awful. I have a spot on one of the cushions that looks like bug blood, but I cannot get it out. I have not even put the boat on the water yet. Any thoughts. In the past I have always trailered my Crownline with the cover on to keep the inside clean.

Does anyone know of anyone who has had a heavy duty canvas cover made that woudl be more durable than the one provided. I think I may look into this option, but am curious if anyone else has?

Thanks,

Steve

I always trailer with mine on. On the 2007 it did rub on the front corners of the fence but it was cream colored and didn't stand out much but that cover was heavier than the one on my 2011. I trailered probably 1k miles last summer and it left no flap marks anywhere that I could see on this one. SO I have never had an issue with several thousand miles of trailering with the cover on. The trick is to keep the support poles tight. I always put the cover on and snap it all the way around and then put the poles in from the front back and crawl out the rear center door between the rear loungers.As posted above with the bugs here in the summer the couple times I had trailered without the cover gained me nothing but a back ache from having to scrub the dead bug carcasses off the boat inside and out. And believe me bee guts splattered all over the interior is no treat to clean off. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone buy the typical Taylor Made Towable cover? Would you place that on over the playpen cover or take the playpen cover off and then use only the Taylor Made

Back