Polished Pontoons

spinzone

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack Lakebum's thread, so here is another thread with pics of polished toons.

$600 for the outsides, nose cones and stern end caps polished.

Please forgive the quality of the photos (I should have saved them in original quality, they look grainy). They were shot from inside my storage unit and the interior walls reflect on some of the photos which make it difficult to see the actual tubes.

toon tube.JPG

wall reflection.JPG

shoes reflection.JPG

from stern.JPG

closeup before.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy who did them used a product called "Gords" on it. He says it works great on pontoons and shine holds up for about 6 months in water.

It also only took him about 8 hours to do the entire thing.

He is in Lexington and went down to Jamestown to do the tubes.

Hey is there any chance we can get you to pull the boat out and take another pic?? The polish job looks great its just hard to see what we are looking at up so close

When I get back from FL over Christmas, I'll yank her out and aim for some sun pictures. Unfortunately, my company would frown on my installing a hitch on the company vehicle!

The guy who did them used a product called "Gords" on it. He says it works great on pontoons and shine holds up for about 6 months in water.

It also only took him about 8 hours to do the entire thing.
I am totally impressed with all of you guys that have managed to get a shine on your tunes. I haven't had any luck yet, but that is probably because I don't think I could go through the 7 levels of sanding that Lakebum did. That's why I was interested in this post about Gords. I searched for it on the internet and found this video that walks through a typical process.

Gords Video

Has anyone else tried this product? It's about $100 for a gallon, and I'm guessing I would need at least 2 gallons for all exposed areas on my toons.

The guy who did mine used a liter sized bottle to do the outsides, nose cone, and end caps. I think a gallon would get both sides of 3 toons. He was able to do the entire thing in 8 hours. Mind you, he must have arms of steel!

Hello, I posted a "polishing before sanding" pic in my gallery, just for comparison. You can enlarge it and see the salt water pits that I was trying to sand out, which only worked a little. If I had been blessed with a barge without the pits I would not have went through all the sanding. My technical ineptness made me post it to my gallery and not in the thread. Maybe next time I can figure it out. Steve

As usual, I watched the Gord's video after my post. Seems to use the same basic chemical as Rolite. Using the oxidation from the aluminum to actually polish it. (some sandpaper is made with aluminum oxide particles) I think I will try it after I re-buff mine with Rolite. Hopefully the sealing part will not water spot like mine does now.Less steps than with what I used and I'm all about "work smarter not harder". Lets hear how your polishing goes as soon as it's convenient. Maybe between all of us we can get this process nailed down to "fairly easy". Thanks, Steve

Lakebum; lets say you had brand new toons. Do you think you could get a mirrior like polish with out sanding? Do you think Gords polish and a buffer would bring them

Up to a mirrior like shine. I cant see the pictures your talking about in your post. Pm me or e mail me I can help show you how to start posting pictures.

Lakebum; lets say you had brand new toons. Do you think you could get a mirrior like polish with out sanding? Do you think Gords polish and a buffer would bring them

Up to a mirrior like shine. I cant see the pictures your talking about in your post. Pm me or e mail me I can help show you how to start posting pictures.
Geewest, go to my post and click on my gallery, should be the first pic. Let me know if that doesn't help get you there. Steve

Geewest, go to my post and click on my gallery, should be the first pic. Let me know if that doesn't help get you there. Steve
Geewest, click on the little green picture above "members" by "lakebum" and double click the first pic and it will give you my complete gallery. Click on the "polish before sanding" pic to see it blown up. As for new pontoons I can only guess. I'll try to stop by the G3 dealer and see if he had any luck.

Geewest, click on the little green picture above "members" by "lakebum" and double click the first pic and it will give you my complete gallery. Click on the "polish before sanding" pic to see it blown up. As for new pontoons I can only guess. I'll try to stop by the G3 dealer and see if he had any luck.
this is the pic, right?

gallery_307_38_102106.jpg

Butchkid, that is the pic. It only took about 15 minutes to put on the 3 stages and it shines pretty good. In person you could still see the salt pits so I tried to sand them out which shouldn't be necessary on fresh water used toons.

I just posted a photo, in my gallery, taken today after a 2 hour ride. The polished tubes have 6 hours on them and a few water spots, which I expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
They look great Spinzone

Back