Pontoon access plugs

Mi3girls

Reaction score
Boat is 2001 2250 R L tritoon With sport package and lifting strakes On both sides of all 3 pontoons splash guard underneath the deck And splash guards on both sides of the pontoons where they attach to the boat... Problem is I don't know how to get access to the plugs with the aluminum shields welded to the sides. Is there a trick to this or an access hole that I cannot find?

Boat is 2001 2250 R L tritoon With sport package and lifting strakes On both sides of all 3 pontoons splash guard underneath the deck And splash guards on both sides of the pontoons where they attach to the boat... Problem is I don't know how to get access to the plugs with the aluminum shields welded to the sides. Is there a trick to this or an access hole that I cannot find?
You need really small hands. :D Seriously, with the side trim pieces it makes it hard to get anything in there. I can get my hands in there but it's real tight.

Somebody had to ask....why are you trying to remove the plugs?

Do you suspect that you have a leak?

Or did you want to fill them with helium? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody had to ask....why are you trying to remove the plugs?

Do you suspect that you have a leak?

Or did you want to fill them with helium? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
His header says he's got water in the tubes. (fine print))

Woops! Don't like fine print, makes me think i need glasses :blink:

My side panels are riveted on, if yours are welded on, you may have to grind the welds down to get the panels off.

If there is a good welding shop in your area, this may be a job for them, someone is going to have to drill a small hole to drain the water out, and then weld up the the hole once the leak is found and repaired.

Mine are a bit more accessible.

gallery_1279_161_33820.jpg

These are generally opened when welding to allow for safe expansion of the heated air inside. Kind of out of the box thinking, but I suppose you could fill the tube with water to find the leak, and then attempt a siphon. The drilling of another hole for draining is a lot easier (assuming the existing leak is not conveniently located in the bottom of the tube).

Mi3girls,

My side panels are riveted and the vent plug has a small hole in it so it's open! Our new Bennington had a leak on the welded seam and it took on water so the dealer had the tube drilled, drained & welded back up! The welding shop use low air pressure on the tube to help push out the water in the tube after they drilled a 1/4 drain hole in the bottom rear of the tube. I found the leak while the boat was on the trailer so we didn't have to look for the leak. But you could use soapy water to find air bubbles at the leak with the low air pressure. Also the top edge of the side panel is very sharp and even with small hands/arms you get lots of cuts getting to the vent plug!

RiverBill

And low pressure means like 1.5 -2 psi, NOT 10-15 which seems low for normal items, but not toons !!!!!

Not sure what air PSI Bennington recommends, but I would not exceed 5 PSI. Please be careful, pontoons are not air tanks! This process can be dangerous, if you are not sure about this procedure then leave it to the professionals!

RiverBill

I'm very surprised to hear your side panels are welded on??? are you sure? and other people report they have pop riveted ones?
My Q has bolted side pieces. Takes about 15 mins to remove all the Nuts and bolts and take the side panel off, I took the drivers side off last summer to run some battery cable power & ground up to the Drivers Helm removing the side panel makes access a snap. And yes the Air bungs are right their. I hope you dont have to go threw all the drama of welding or grinding

Back