Pontoon cleaner

ranger45

Reaction score
I used West marine Pontoon cleaner and had a bad result. The cleaner was the Pure Oceans pontoon cleaner. I wiped the area down then rinsed as directed. When it dried it looks as if the cleaner etched the aluminum. I have a call into West Marine technical advisor. I am wondering if this can be fixed or what my next move should be.

Rubbing Compound + Orbital Buffer

I've been doing tons of research on different products to clean my toons to that mirror shine. If the rubbing compound doesn't work as the scratches are too deep, I've been reading where many pontoon owners are using 800-1000 grit to sand them down to remove the scratches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ranger, Let us know what West Marine has to say. I'm sorry this happened to you but your experience can save others from the same fate.

For those out there that may be interested in doing this on their vessels as well, the best reviews seem to go to Nuvite, Rollite (member here used from topoftheline), Gord's.

Thank's for the replies, I am hoping they come up with a solution. I bet I am not the only person this has happened to. I do hope this will help other's from making the same mistake.

Did you look at the chemicals in it? Sounds like it is an acid based cleaner in which case you have no case :( . Did it say in the directions to try on a small concealed area before use to make sure it won't cause any damage? I have never seen a bottle of cleaner that did not have some version of these warnings on them.

Did you look at the chemicals in it? Sounds like it is an acid based cleaner in which case you have no case :( . Did it say in the directions to try on a small concealed area before use to make sure it won't cause any damage? I have never seen a bottle of cleaner that did not have some version of these warnings on them.
No it says it has no caustic or phosphates and is safe for all aluminum surfaces. It further says on stubborn spots it may need a second treatment. I would hate to see what that would do. It does not say try on a concealed spot. It says wipe on and rinse off. My advice don't use it.

Well I heard back from their Technical Support. They said the cleaner will leave a residue that can be cleaned with another polish they have. I will try that and let everyone know the results.

If you just want to clean your toons, Spray on some 1:3 toiletbowl cleaner/water mix. It's cheap and nothing will clean them better.

Back