Pontoon in the Florida Keys

BucketsII

Reaction score
Just purchased a 23 sslxd with 150hp yamaha express package in key largo. Previous boat was a 21' dual console with a 150hp Yamaha. Our normal outings are to nearby "beaches" on bayside with a few to white bank patches and Rodriguez Key on Oceanside. Only go to oceanside when seas are 2' or less. If there are any members in this area can you please tell me if I will need to curtail all oceanside trips? I haven't seen too many pontoons on oceanside but then again was not paying attention since I did not own a Benny at the time. Thank you!

Welcome to the club and post some pictures for us along with some more detail. While I'm not able to answer your questions, I know we have several folks on this site that boat the Florida coast.

Will do once I actually get the pontoon. I am having the bottom painted since it will be in the water year long.

Welcome to the forum Buckets!

Welcome! I’m up the coast from you but moved down 2 months ago so I don’t have and tips yet!

Welcome aboard!!

Well I have been doing some research and find that I need to make sure when I go to the Oceanside when the waves are 2 feet and under. But I also run across big displacement hull yachts through the intercoastal that create tremendous waves. How do I navigate those?
See link below. This really scares me!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfRWgJhHsKf/

Don't let passengers sit in front and don't hit the wakes head on. I would not try that with a 2 tube boat.

What Carl said. That guy had no idea what he was doing!

He definitely didn't know what he was doing. The water looked pretty good and he decided to try and jump the other boats wake like a jet ski. He's lucky if no one got hurt on his boat. Looks like a typical Florida boater. A lot of first time boaters down here.

So the pontoon newbie that I am, besides making sure that the weight is in the stern how should I approach something like this? Slow down? 45 degrees? In my 21 dual console I have had large boats cause huge swells in front of me in in the intercoastal flanked by mangroves and not much room to maneuver and my normal coarse of action has been to slow down float across then once over the swell pick up speed again. Same with pontoon?

I’ve never had to encounter big wake so I’ll be following this as well. Not sure I’ll try the Bo duke in the Benny though.

I’ve never had to encounter big wake so I’ll be following this as well. Not sure I’ll try the Bo duke in the Benny though.
I've done it here and it's fun, except my wife didn't think so. :rolleyes:

Well I have been doing some research and find that I need to make sure when I go to the Oceanside when the waves are 2 feet and under. But I also run across big displacement hull yachts through the intercoastal that create tremendous waves. How do I navigate those?
See link below. This really scares me!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfRWgJhHsKf/
All he needed was the 150hp and he'd of been fine!

I watched the link... on one hand hilarious but could really hurt somebody running like that. I doubt you’ve have the same issue with a triple toon up on plane. I’ve ran through some rather large wakes with ours that I thought would be trouble and had no issues. Common sense always wins out!!

Adkboater, that makes me feel better! I guess once I get it I need to just get used to how it handles, take it easy and get confidence in it.
Thanks to all!

Stupid is as stupid does! To begin with, he should have never been so close to the forward boat. I'm thinking such a maneuver could get you a ticket. Secondly, he was obviously traveling way too fast to safely traverse that sized wake, particularly on a pontoon. Keep a greater distance and you should be fine.

You'll be all right.......

Once you get used to your boat you'll know what you can do and not do.

Safety is the key......

Back