pontoon log question

srg123

Reaction score
i just recently bought a 2275qxi used.(2007) love the boat, but on starboard side pontoon log sounds like someone is running a high powered water hose in there. this sound was present for a couple of days after boating while sitting outside. i then garaged it and checked a day later and sound was gone. i rocked the boat real hard trying to get a feel for how much water might be in there and couldn't even hear any sloshing of water. i know there was a leak at a weld about a month ago and for a quick fix i put some jb weld on it and the water does not drip there now. i am thinking i might have a different source of entry for water and it was exiting where i applied the jb. not positive though. i have heard these logs are chambered, does anybody know where i could get the schematics of how these logs look like inside and are assembled? I have not had time to do the soapy water test yet to look for leaks but intend to. i only see 1 plug on top near front of log and have not removed it yet, is this where you would add some light air pressure? i will check for your replys tonite as i have to go to work now.

thanks

srg123, welcome to the Club!

Since you bought this used, was the warranty transferred to you?

As for the chambers, i believe there is a bulkhead at each seam, but can't say for sure.

I suspect you had water in there, and heat from the sun was pressurizing the toon and you where hearing the air/water escaping.

Yes, the plug is where you would use air to pressure test, but be sure to use a regulated air supply of no more than 3psi !!!!!!!!!!!

Exploding toons can maim or kill you---no joke!

If it is not a warranty item, find a competent TIG welder in you area to weld the leaks you find.

Good luck, and let us know how this turns out for you :)

Bulkheads? I always wondered why there were multiple plugs on the top of my toons. Anyway, 3psi is so low, what's the recommended tool to use? - a turkey baster? Seriously, is there a tool for this? In my minds eye, I see a plug with a T fitting in it. At the top is a low pressure gauge, and in the middle a Schrader valve. Probably use a bicycle pump to raise the gauge pressure, then see if it bleeds off.

Most compressors have regulators on them.

I would find a regulator that goes from 0-10 psi. I would not trust a regular compressor gauge, especially if you bought a harbor freight one !!! LOL !!

3 psi is not much, but there's a huge amount of volume to fill, I think you'd be pumping forever with a bike pump..... :)

Yep, i had seen that but couldn't remember where, thanks Semper.

If you read the whole post, you know that happend with 10 psi, not alot of pressure!

Kinda funny, he works for you know who! :lol:

What is the point of the 3 psi in a tube in the first place? Is it just to limit the speed it takes on water if you get a leak? Obviously it doesn't completely stop water from coming in or you wouldn't have threads about leaks like this to begin with.

I understand if you left the valves wide open to let the toon breathe (such as when going up and down high elevations to keep pressure from building/dropping too much) then water would come in much faster through any leak. So is 3 psi just a trade off between simply sealing a toon at atmospheric pressure (0 psi), vs the tube exploding from too much pressure?

Or maybe it is just that the factory tests for leaks with 3 psi (not too much to be dangerous, but enough to see a leak), and after the test, they simply just leave them sealed up with 3 psi in them?

I suppose the answer is it is done like this for multiple reasons...

thanks all: i am on left coast so just now reading all responses to my questions. i did not get a warranty transfer and being almost 7 years old, i imagine it would be quite difficult to get them to warranty it. the water and air pressure was making the noise and with the awesome jb weld job i did at weld seam it has no place to leak out at bottom. so has anyone ever gotten a diagram of one of these logs to show what is going on inside them?

I believe they use 3 psi just for testing. I doubt they seal them with it being permanent. I would bet its like anything filled with air. As temperature rises, so does pressure and drops as it gets colder. I have seen pics somewhere of a toon actually "collapsing" in extreme cold. It actual sucked the sides in. They probably just do a leak down test, then seal it up.

You can test toons with a vacuum cleaner running in reverse. You don't want to apply much pressure to them. Most of the leaks on relatively new boats will be on the seams, and you mix up some soapy water and look for bubbles.

We have had our 2013 2275GS since June of this year. We have it docked at the lake. I have noticed that it lists to the aft starboard about 2-3 inches. It just had its' 20 hour maintenance and the dealer checked for water in the toons and found none. They don't know why it is listing. We checked for weight and possible other things that might cause the problem. Has anyone else experienced this type of situation? Out dealer is checking to see if that is a normal thing with this model.  Thanks for any ideas for this problem.

handshake, stan

Battery ?? Fuel tank ?? Are they in that area?

Battery is probably 50-ish pounds and fuels around 8 pounds per gallon. Might be part of it ??

Last edited by a moderator:
fuel is in the center aft (we have a fishing station and the fuel is just below)  batteries are located under port lounger.

How did they check for the water? I would check again. All things considered, that seems like a lot of lean if no water in toons.

Be nice if someone had a thermal camera. That's as accurate as you can get without looking down inside.

I'll check with my dealer and see if they have one or can get one to recheck the toon. good idea thanks.

Even a laser thermometer might be able to see the difference in temp pretty easy but the visual with the thermal is precise.

Think beer can. You can feel where the beer level is by running your finger down the side and feeling for the change in temperature. Beer is cold. Water in pontoon - Not so much...

But you could do the opposite and take a hair dryer and warm up the side of the tube. If there is any water in it, the aluminum would stay cold below the water level... And a hair dryer is easier to find than a laser gun.

If the boat is distant from an outlet, a gallon jug of hot water might work.

$0.02.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer the original post, there is indeed a bulkhead at every weld seam.

There is a plug on the top of the tube for each chamber.

ALWAYS remove plug prior to welding to achieve neutral pressure.

Back