Pontoon trailer Size

Thanks Tom but there was a thread a while back that gave a clearer comparison I thought. O well. it looks like I have 145R 12E tires on mine. Trying to see if they are maypops.

Here comes the Tire Police.  You will notice that most trailer manufacturers are putting Chinese built tires on their trailers.  Its the same for recreational vehicles.  For 13" and 14" Special Trailer (ST) tires, every Chinese built tire is of very poor quality.  And this includes the Goodyear Marathon tire--the most problematic of them all.

If you're towing very far or in difficult terrain, you should consider replacing your tires on your boat trailer.

The very best ST tire is the Maxxis M8008, and it comes in all sizes up through 16".  The Kumho 857 is also great, but it's only a 14" tire.

There's not a day that goes by that a travel trailer or fifth wheel trailer doesn't throw a belt doing $3K-$4K damage to the underside of the trailer.  When owners switch over to high quality E rated or G rated tires, the threat of a tire problem improves immediately.

Two things that any owner should do daily before moving a trailer is (1) check all air pressures and keep them to the maximum pressure the tire's rated for; and (2)  torque every lug nut with a high quality torque wrench.

I have a set of Bridgestone Duravis R250 ribbed 16" tires ready to go on my brand new fifth wheel trailer.  I would be changing my pontoon trailer tires, but I don't put more than 50 miles on it every year.

This thread is giving me serious anxiety about my tire situation. I frequently tow my boat 600-800 miles round trip. I'm running the cheapo Carlisle tires that came on my trailer. Am I an idiot to not change them all out to something higher quality immediately?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is giving me serious anxiety about my tire situation......... Am I an idiot to not change them all out to something higher quality immediately?
Same here.   We trailer 45 mins to an hour each way on every outing.  Sometimes travel 3+ hours each way.  My pucker factor is pegged.

This thread is giving me serious anxiety about my tire situation. I frequently tow my boat 600-800 miles round trip. I'm running the cheapo Carlisle tires that came on my trailer. Am I an idiot to not change them all out to something higher quality immediately?
I've had pretty good luck with the Carlisle Radial ST on my enclosed snowmobile trailer (14" and 5K trailer (7x29' inline)).  I take two trips to MT or WY from MN per year.  Each trip is 2K-2.2K rt.  They are wearing fine.  I had one slow sidewall leak and the tire eventually blew (no damage) and one tire with some "weather cracking" in the side wall which I replaced.  This is in 5-6 year old tires with 20K on them.

They certainly are not the best tire, but if you have the radial ST version, I wouldn't replace them unless you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dealer is changing my trailer to a 24 from a 22 ft.  I feel much better about trailer size with the switch.  Now after some of the post I will worry about the tire size!   HA

I'm not sure if mine are the radial ST or just the ST. Or is that the same? This is what I have: Carlisle ST175 80D13, which I think is this: http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/519161.html
The radial tire is different.  I don't have any experience with the bias ply tires.  I think we all agree that a radial is better than bias ply.

I have these on my enclosed trailer.  http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/5151351.html I don't know what I have on my boat trailer.  I assume they are not the best as the trailer could be considered a budget trailer.  Likely a bias ply.  I'm not too concerned as I won't be towing a ton and rarely over 90mi.

It is recommended that the trailer tires be replaced every 3-4 years. They may have plenty of tread but dry rot sets in. Some times unseen. My boat weighs more than a ton by far, more like 3700 lbs. Duel axles help, and if you do get a flat remove the tire and you can still drive slowly to the next service area.

Bias or radial 3-4 years. is life. Remember you boat is on "CHINA BOMBS"

Trailer is very important if you are hauling a long way. We travel about 350 miles one way once or twice a year to our annual vacation lake and 50 to 70 miles to our local lakes. I ordered my trailer with 14" tires and made sure the trailer extended to support the center tube. It took two try's but I got it.
How do you like your mid america trailer.

I really don't like to talk about tires, but I was looking at my trailer this week and my 13" China Bombs.  I probably don't tow my boat more than 50 miles per year since my boat's kept in a boathouse.  If I was towing my boat all the time, it'd have better tires--probably Maxxis M8008's.  13" tires of high quality are now difficult to find as few cars or trucks now use'em.

But those that are towing mega miles may have some problems in their future.  Best thing you can do is religiously keep air pressures to the max level on specs. and keep the lug nuts tight--checking every time you go out.

While most of the more expensive boats have two axles/tires to keep from having an accident, I've seen what a flopping tire belt can do to an RV.  It's not a pretty sight.

Anyone have a guess as to the wheel but torque for a genesis pontoon trailer. Called the manufacturer last week and left a message. Nothing on the trailer I’d tag.

Anyone have a guess as to the wheel but torque for a genesis pontoon trailer. Called the manufacturer last week and left a message. Nothing on the trailer I’d tag.
Most trailer wheel torque rating for that size axle would be 100-110ftlbs. Some are less, some more. It’s more important to be evenly tightened then anything.

I’ll hit them at 100 tomorrow. Thanks!

New Bennington owner soon(Michigan) in need of trailer help. Expecting delivery of 20 SLM with Yamaha T50LB motor in April. Total weight 2300 with motor,fuel,gear. Should I buy a tandem or single axle trailer? No plans to tow very far but in case I do I want safety. I will get disc brakes on the trailer but not sure if I need the twin axle for a small pontoon. Mid size SUV tow vehicle can handle 5000lbs. Thanks for any assistance from you experienced owners.

Welcome to the family. I don't tow (unless I borrow Big Kahuna's trailer:cool:) but my thoughts are if you get a flat, you're not stranded with a dual axle trailer as you would be with a single.

As for weight and length a single axle can easily handle your boat. If you’d like to be covered you can get a tandem axle, it won’t hurt to have the extra axle, extra braking, flats, potholes, dropping off the ramp will still leave one axle on. It’ll also handle better at hi speeds ;) not that I have experience with it....It’s just more about the up front cost.

Back