Pontoon Trolling Motor Recommendation Please

tracyhsmith

Reaction score
I am looking for information from someone who has added a trolling motor to their pontoon in the past 2-3 years. I have a 21 SSX APG Fish and Cruise Pontoon. There was a thread from 2012 but motors and the iPilot features are much different now. I was considering a Minn Kota and someone recommended the Humminbird Fishfinder. I have no idea which motor, shaft length and which model of Humminbird. Our friends all have Lowrance systems on Lund fishing boats but man those are costly. We have the only pontoon. Where is the best spot to put it? We installed two Minn Kota Anchor Mates last summer to the bow and stern (driver's side). We love those. Is the detachable mount best? Our boat is kept in dry storage so we take it in and out of the water each trip. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know there were a couple of threads this past year with people talking about trolling motors, and related talk. We don’t fish ourselves so we don’t have one. However, I am sure someone can chime in with some good advice and recommendations.

Semper...don’t you run a trolling motor on your boat? Ha, ha. ;)

Welcome to the forum Tracy! Like Vikingstaff said a member who has a trolling motor will chime in. But if you don't want to wait take advantage if the "search" feature and type in trolling motor and a bunch of previous posts will pop up. There have been several threads on this forum and I'm sure they will be helpful to you. Happy New Year!

We have a 2011 24SLi and I have a Minn Kota 55#, 54" motor. That is the largest 12V motor that we could add - works fine for us - plenty of power. I also have the Co-Pilot wireless control which I added after the initial installation.

54" shaft allows you to see motor head from back end of boat when using the wireless controller - anything shorter (i.e. 48" will not).

Last edited:
You're gonna want a 112# 36V 80"
Anything less will be limiting, whether it's functionality or use time.
Personally I'd go with the Ulterra

80" is not necessary. I can see getting a 24V motor for more power but it will be dependent upon your use. Remember if you need to remove the battery for charging then you will need to haul multiple batteries. I was apprehensive at first going with the 55# thrust but it has been perfect. 80" shaft would be in the way.

I have photos in my gallery of the install.

Semper...don’t you run a trolling motor on your boat? Ha, ha. ;)

Hahaha ..... I bet some of the new trolling motors could almost keep up with my motor .... :D

80" is not necessary. I can see getting a 24V motor for more power but it will be dependent upon your use. Remember if you need to remove the battery for charging then you will need to haul multiple batteries. I was apprehensive at first going with the 55# thrust but it has been perfect. 80" shaft would be in the way.

I have photos in my gallery of the install.

Depending on conditions, an 80" may or may not be necessary. I'd rather have it and not need it vs wishing I would've went that route.

If you fish all day in wind, 36V is the way to go. Will give you more time between charges.

I would simply install an on-board charger. Removing batteries for charging would be my very last resort.

With boat show season upon us, I strongly suggest attending one and visiting with professionals that can thoroughly explain the advantages of features and pairing trolling motor with fish finder etc.
Your typical pontoon salesperson will not have the same level of expertise.

Furthermore, I would buy from whomever is going to be doing the install.
Lots of things to "dick" with...quick plates, battery locations, wiring, plugs, ram mounts, transducer mounting, electrical interference with fish finder, grommets, looms, mounting locations etc. etc.

Depending on conditions, an 80" may or may not be necessary. I'd rather have it and not need it vs wishing I would've went that route.

If you fish all day in wind, 36V is the way to go. Will give you more time between charges.

I would simply install an on-board charger. Removing batteries for charging would be my very last resort.

With boat show season upon us, I strongly suggest attending one and visiting with professionals that can thoroughly explain the advantages of features and pairing trolling motor with fish finder etc.

Lots of things to "dick" with...quick plates, battery locations, wiring, plugs, ram mounts, transducer mounting, electrical interference with fish finder, grommets, looms, mounting locations etc. etc.
Unfortunately, I have to haul the batteries - so 12V it is for me! I will say it has been fine so far.

Minn Kota doesn't make an 80" shaft according to their website. If your fishing in conditions that require an 80" shaft on your trolling motor - your in trouble.

You are correct, I meant 60", my bad!
Thanks!

Thank you for all of the information. Good point on going to boat shows! I completely forgot those will be coming and that may be the best time! I appreciate your reply!

I just purchased the 22 SFX and added a 24 volt Minn Kota Powerdrive 68lb thrust. I've only made it out once to test everything, (2wks old) and it pushed the boat just fine. Not sure I would want anything smaller. The dealer relocated my trolling motor batteries under the helm and then added an onboard charger.

Back