Pontoon umbrella

If you look in my gallery you can see how I did mine. Umbrellas by themselves are real cheap. Although mine has two attatchment points, when the wind gets up to 20 or so, I usually take it down. Anchored at the floor only, it would probably fly. My first, a 7 1/2 footer, costs less that $30. My new one, a 10 footer with Sunbrella fabric, was less than $60. My boat is old, 2005, so attatching it to the rail may not be as easy. Steve

Went to look for your umbrella pics, and I had a hard time finding them. You have to click "View All Images" near the top (in case anyone had the same problem).

Can you take a pic of how you did the attachment points? Very curious how you did that. Can barely see it in one photo, but not enough to really tell.

Thanks!

Found this option today:

www.thebiminibuddy.com

kaydano, I ordered stainless steel "mineralac" straps to fit the support pole. They are an electrical strap for conduit and can usually be found in a size to fit most poles. I used 2" long s.s. screws and made some square aluminum washers 1 1/4 by 1 1/4 to give extra support and cushioned the rail with some flexible plastic sheeting I had laying around. I used female threaded knobs instead of nuts for easy on and off. Steve

the 2250 RCW top has two short support arms facing the stern, for use when the top is folded and in the down position. Since I never use those, with top up they can be positioned at a 90 degree angle and fixed there with a simple clamp, You attached a sunshade material to that and extend the cover to the stern, where I plan to put mounting poles at each corner. Presto, you have a sunscreen. The shade material (which is semitransparent mesh that flows air but block UV rays, can be purchased from a number of outdoor suppliers. It used as outdoor patio shade and it's popular to see them in "sail" shapes suspended over pools and patio's" but they do come in square and rectangular cuts

They run about $60 to $100 for a size that would cover the stern lounge area. No cost for the attached point over the lounge area headrest, cost for the two stern corner post and attaching clamp should be less then $50 for square tubing and clamp. I was thinking i may try a sail shape, use the two ends attached at the head of the lounge rest and just extend a pole up from the ski pylon, That would give quite a bit of shade, but not 100% coverage on the lower half of the lounger.

Here is an example of the material. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C87JAK/ref=asc_df_B004C87JAK2055100?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B004C87JAK&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1086621528241683715&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Last edited by a moderator:
Back