Pontoons, length, engine size, occasional gulf use.

57belairguy

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m trying to find out from your experience about what we need to purchase, length, engine size tri-toon vs pontoon. I’ve never owned a pontoon so I have no personal experience. We’re in a canal community in SW Florida and want to occasionally venture out to the edge of the gulf. I’d love the 250hp tri toon but I’d prefer to not break the bank but also don’t want to buy something that doesn’t work for our needs. Any insight from you all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There are a number of folks on this forum that can provide you with first hand experience, but I can tell you that a tri-toon is what you'll want if venturing out into the gulf. Add to that the fact that a pontoon won't be able to handle that amount of HP and you're pretty much just deciding between ESP or SPS. As for length, I'd go as long as you can afford.

The longer the better for handling and gliding over rougher water. The ESP tritoon will be the most robust for rough water as well. Michiman is certainly right about wanting the tritoon. I have an SPS tritoon, and it is great, but the ESP is supposed to be even better - and certainly more robust with thicker aluminum.

No way would I consider a regular dual toon pontoon on big bodies of water like the Gulf, or the Great Lakes (nearby us). Hopefully our many experienced Florida members will speak up with their expert advice.

My first Bennington was the 20SLX with a 90 Yamaha. I ventured into the gulf several times with no problems. Had great times.

My second Bennington is the 24’ with the 150 Yamaha. Been in the gulf a few times with it, also. Great times. D9CBED7E-C9EB-41AB-8AF5-565DD203819B.jpegD36E4F2A-380D-4AEF-B91A-993006CCAF47.jpeg87AE54E8-E886-4695-9E6D-1158399F1ACA.jpegF4BB3B2E-215D-44D4-8180-406CB9CE85A9.jpeg11353070-B5C7-4A41-BE5F-A9419E98B55B.jpegD9CBED7E-C9EB-41AB-8AF5-565DD203819B.jpeg995CB1C5-C656-47BC-AB2E-B0C61BA87156.jpeg

Last edited:
My first Bennington was the 20SLX with a 90 Yamaha. I ventured into the gulf several times with no problems. Had great times.

My second Bennington is the 24’ with the 150 Yamaha. Been in the gulf a few times with it, also. Great times. View attachment 29491
Good for you. Your screen name is fitting. You are definitely spoiled with wonderful weather and gorgeous scenery. Enjoy your updated boat!

we have a 23’ sxp fast back SPS with a 200hp Yamaha. We run about a mile off shore in the gulf and have had no problems. As always keep aware of the weather when boating. We were out a couple weeks ago with 10 people on board with a 2 ft chop. No problem. We took our friends new Bennington 23 R maiden voyage from Sarasota to Naples. Again, you have to respect the weather and we used inter coastal when practical.
The longer the boat the better, but we are happy with the 23’ which works out well for manueuring in our canal.
Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy.

we have a 23’ sxp fast back SPS with a 200hp Yamaha. We run about a mile off shore in the gulf and have had no problems. As always keep aware of the weather when boating. We were out a couple weeks ago with 10 people on board with a 2 ft chop. No problem. We took our friends new Bennington 23 R maiden voyage from Sarasota to Naples. Again, you have to respect the weather and we used inter coastal when practical.
The longer the boat the better, but we are happy with the 23’ which works out well for manueuring in our canal.
Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy.
Excellent thanks much!

Hi is that a back up camera in the 3rd picture and if so how does it work?

Not a backup cam. It’s a cam/vid recorder. Waterproof so I can take it in the water, but I enjoy mounting it to the boat just to record some of our moments.

PBFlorida

Another day in paradise!

if that question about pontoon or tritoon was to me... mine’s a 3 logger.

Last edited:
Back