Porpoising

Jakester

Reaction score
I have a 2010 2275RLI with a Yamaha 225. The boat porpoises badly at full throttle on calm water.

I'm running a Michigan Wheel, Ballistic, 17 inch ss prop and the motor is mounted in position #1 (all the way down). I plan on raising the motor to see how that works since the performanc bullatins all seem to be running position #2. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Hi Jakester, first, let me welcome you to the club! Next, lets find out more about your problem. Is this boat new, and if so, is this the setup the dealer put togather? Otherwise have you tried adjusting the trim to bring the nose down? You also did not indicate if you have lifting strakes, two or three toons, etc. So give us a bit more to work with, and perhaps we can come up with some answers for you :)

I assume its s 3 tooner since its a 225hp. As Geoffrey stated, a few more details. Would be nice. Is this a new prop? Reason why I ask is I had 3 Mich wheel ballistics and they all were horrible props. I sent everyone of them back because of performance issues and hub issues on my center console boat.

Let us know some details

thanks

todd

I assume its s 3 tooner since its a 225hp. As Geoffrey stated, a few more details. Would be nice. Is this a new prop? Reason why I ask is I had 3 Mich wheel ballistics and they all were horrible props. I sent everyone of them back because of performance issues and hub issues on my center console boat.

Let us know some details

thanks

todd
Hello all -

Thank you for the response. Yes, it is a 3 tube with strakes (no ESP). The boat was purchased new and this is the dealer setup. I can trim out the porpoising if I run it 3/4 down but I lose a ton of speed and performance. My dealer uses the same prop with 20 foot boats (150 hp max) without a problem. Funny you should mention problems with the Ballistic props as I blew out my hub a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping that raising the motor to position #2 or #3 solves the problem. Any suggestiong would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Im surprised new boat with yammi would get a ballistic prop. Usually they get engine produced props. Ie yammi gets yammi props. Merc gets merc props etc.

My ballistic wows were back in 2007. Sounds like if u blew a hub, they haven't gotten any better in 4the plus years. Wow

Keep us posted

todd

Im surprised new boat with yammi would get a ballistic prop. Usually they get engine produced props. Ie yammi gets yammi props. Merc gets merc props etc.

My ballistic wows were back in 2007. Sounds like if u blew a hub, they haven't gotten any better in 4the plus years. Wow

Keep us posted

todd
My dealer uses ballistic props on all his 3 tube boats and hasn't had too many problem from what I understand. I'm not sure if the prop is the cause or not. Can anyone recommend a good prop for this application? I'm going to try and raise the motor this weekend but will also try a new prop if raising the motor to position 2 or 3 doesn't work.

I have a Yamaha Reliance SS prop on my boat and have no problems. I could be wrong but I don't think raising the motor will help with porposing issues. In fact you may then have ventilation. Have you tried moving wieght forward to see if this would help? Also I am curious as to which Yamaha 225 you have. The reg F series have a 25 in shaft while the SHO have a 20 in. Having the 20 in shaft on a 25 in transom could cause your problems.

I have a Yamaha Reliance SS prop on my boat and have no problems. I could be wrong but I don't think raising the motor will help with porposing issues. In fact you may then have ventilation. Have you tried moving wieght forward to see if this would help? Also I am curious as to which Yamaha 225 you have. The reg F series have a 25 in shaft while the SHO have a 20 in. Having the 20 in shaft on a 25 in transom could cause your problems.
It's a 25 inch shaft on a 25 inch transom. My thought is that if there is more drag from a lower motor it may prevent the boat from getting completely on plane (strakes). Not sure if this will work but I want to give it a try before switching out props. Many of the archived Yamaha Perfomance Bullatins seem to be running in postion #2 which also makes me wonder.

I find that porpoising is usually caused by over trimming. Very little trim is needed on my bowrider. Any over and it starts to porpoise.

Back