Port side speakers

cauger

Reaction score
Having issues with port side kicker speakers. They are hit and miss as to whether or not they are working properly. At times it sounds like the only sound is coming through the tweeter and they sound terrible. The starboard side is fine. I went ahead and followed another post on here and installed an alpine amp to drive the speakers that came in the boat….really gave it a great boost. But the speakers on The port side are unchanged and still are hit and miss. So I don’t know if that would indicate the issue is further downstream. Has anyone had issues like this? Where do I start? The boat was purchased new last year.

Sounds like a bad speaker if you are getting sound from the tweeter .Do you have a different speaker you can try to see if it works ? That would eliminate the wiring and the head .
And you have the 10 year warranty .

Since it sounds like its both speakers I’m leaning toward a connection issue, maybe an RCA that’s causing what your hearing. If it was only one speaker then it could possibly be blown. I would start checking all of your terminations and make sure they are all good. Check your RCAs by swapping them and see if your problem stays on the left or moves. Lastly, check under the boat for damaged wiring, critters love wire insulation. Try these and reach out for more ideas.

Since it sounds like its both speakers I’m leaning toward a connection issue, maybe an RCA that’s causing what your hearing. If it was only one speaker then it could possibly be blown. I would start checking all of your terminations and make sure they are all good. Check your RCAs by swapping them and see if your problem stays on the left or moves. Lastly, check under the boat for damaged wiring, critters love wire insulation. Try these and reach out for more ideas.
Yeah it’s both speakers. I’ll do some looking around at the things mentioned. Thank you!

Sounds like a wire is grounding out on the pontoon. Check under the pontoon for an exposed wire
Sort of what it seems like. With underskinning I’m thinking this could get difficult. I don’t mind troubleshooting but like Jack M stated above the warranty is there for a reason or so I hope so! Trouble is the dealer I purchased from is about 3 hours from me.

Sort of what it seems like. With underskinning I’m thinking this could get difficult. I don’t mind troubleshooting but like Jack M stated above the warranty is there for a reason or so I hope so! Trouble is the dealer I purchased from is about 3 hours from me.
With that underskinning, I would certainly turn it over for warranty trouble shooting/repair. Any Bennington dealers any closer you could go to instead, or is the 3 hour drive the only one? Although your purchase dealer is probably by more inclined to handle it, any Bennington dealer can deal with it.

Jack M, you had it right. I had a stereo shop stop by, the guy pressed on the cone of the rear port side speaker and it came back to life, along with the front. So he called it a blown speaker that needs replaced.

Back