Portable washdown crapped out .... recommendations?

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
So my Trac portable wash-down crapped out (I think it froze over the winter) and I'm thinking about installing a permanent wash-down pump in the changing room. Any recommendations on brand, g.p.h., p.s.i., etc ..... 

It will be a raw water draw from lake.

I don't need a pressure washer, but I'd like decent pressure and water volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I absolutely LOVE my Trac portable wash down kit.  I keep it stored under my helm.  I keep my boat in indoor heated storage during the winter but if I didn't have that I'd keep it in my house during the winter for the very reason yours probably stopped working.  Guess my point is, why do you want anything else as good as these suckers are?

Mine worked ok, but I'd like something with a little more pressure. They did redesign it though. Maybe the new one is better. Maybe I'll just grab another. Lesson learned. DO NOT let it freeze ....  :blink:

Change your perception... let it freeze. Get a new one next year! Might be even better yet! You could get an acronym named after you on the pressurewasher website!

This isn't the most beautiful way but I took a 1000gph bilge pump, hooked a 25 ' garden hose to it, added some wire, plug it into the lighter and wash away. Roll it up and stow it when done.

Steve

What kind of pressure are you getting Steve? I wondered if a bilge pump would provide enough pressure, or if they were more for volume.

No...I actually read something when Steve first posted this that said bilge pumps don't make good pumps for pressure washers.

I think my model had a little more pressure than yours did Steve.  I remember doing quite a bit of researching online before I found mine that had more pressure than the original one had.

Just looked at the factory wash down on our boat. The pump that comes with it is a 12v Shurflo marine pump. Specs are as follows:3.5 gpm,45lb pressure setting. The system is a fresh water wash down with a tank. You could probably use any RV water system pump,like they use on trailers and motor homes. I nknow that we love our fresh water wash down since we boat on salt water.

Here's a kit off amazon I came across with the pump - hose - fittings.  It's a 5gpm pump that runs at 60psi.....unless your freshwater tank is pretty large this might not be the hot setup.

RV Pump

Back