Possible purchase of new tritoon

Flying Butcher

Reaction score
Having a new home built in Tellico Village. We are in market for new 22-24 triton. Looking at Bennington and G-3. Any advise much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Just got a 21slxp tritoon with a Yamaha 150 and we Love it!! Build quality is Top Notch and the 10 year warranty is another reassurance that Bennington stands behind their product. 

We love our Bennington and the ten year warranty is a plus.  This forum has all the answers to your questions, all you have to do ask!

BENNINGTON is the finest pontoon on the market.   I can say from experience of leaving the brand and coming back I will never buy anything else again.  High quality, high resale, and a dealer network that genuinely cares about customer service.  

Bennington without a doubt!  I even know where a mint used one is! Haha

Bennington without a doubt!  I even know where a mint used one is! Haha

It wouldnt take you long to sell your boat down here in the States.......

Cant believe it hasn't sold yet.......

Do they make something else! ;)  

Bennington is a quality brand and backs it up as well! We did look around but always ended up back at Bennington. We've had ours 3 years now and are extremely pleased! Best of luck in your search!

It wouldnt take you long to sell your boat down here in the States.......

Cant believe it hasn't sold yet.......

Me neither, pretty disheartening actually. We never took the boat out even once this year, and it was probably the best boat weather summer in the 7-8 years we've owned a boat. 

I spent much of 2016 looking before ordering our 2017 Bennington. We couldn't be happier after our first summer on the water in ours. I think the Bennington's are top notch for build quality, options, aesthetics, and practicality.  I think they give you a wide array of options and flexibility. We ended up ordering ours new, but we would have had no problem grabbing the right used one either...

Well, of the two you mentioned, it's no guess what we will recommend.  :D

We are on our second one, only because we outgrew the practicality of the first one. 

I am on my 3rd and would never consider another boat!

Thanks all for your replys. Looks like we will order one. Can anyone give me thoughts on what amount of discount (if any) were you able to get of new retail price on one with cash no trade? Seems like both brands try to get full retail???

If you buy off season seems to be the best time to purchase... dependent on the model (higher price models have more discount possibilities).  For a mid line model 10-15%.  I bought mine just before summer and only able to get 5%... and there was literally no large inventory anywhere on the east coast... only a few to choose from.

As you go into fall, you will have much more leverage; particularly in northern areas where boating is winding down. The rule of thumb others shared with me last year was 15-20% of msrp or shop around - someone will come to that range.  Higher end models, even more. I was also told don't be shy shopping around trying to push to the 20-25% off msrp in the Oct-Dec. stretch.

We timed up our purchase/order at the end of last fall. We got fall clearance discounts combined with upcoming winter boat show discounts on any new orders last December through our dealer.  

We also had another boat at another dealership we had a hold on that also lent unintended leverage to our Bennington order negotiations.  We ended up SIGNFICANTLY higher than 20% off msrp on an premium s-series order, but it involved a lot of patience (4-5 months of savey shopping/looking, good negotiations, great dealer, dealing directly with the sales manager and not a floor salesman, and luck with two special offers. 

If you have multiple dealers you can shop around at, I would not consider any deal this fall that is not 15% or more off msrp. 

As you go into fall, you will have much more leverage; particularly in northern areas where boating is winding down. The rule of thumb others shared with me last year was 15-20% of msrp or shop around - someone will come to that range.  Higher end models, even more. I was also told don't be shy shopping around trying to push to the 20-25% off msrp in the Oct-Dec. stretch.

We timed up our purchase/order at the end of last fall. We got fall clearance discounts combined with upcoming winter boat show discounts on any new orders last December through our dealer.  

We also had another boat at another dealership we had a hold on that also lent unintended leverage to our Bennington order negotiations.  We ended up SIGNFICANTLY higher than 20% off msrp on an premium s-series order, but it involved a lot of patience (4-5 months of savey shopping/looking, good negotiations, great dealer, dealing directly with the sales manager and not a floor salesman, and luck with two special offers. 

If you have multiple dealers you can shop around at, I would not consider any deal this fall that is not 15% or more off msrp. 

This is very good advice. 

As VikingStaff said be patient and deal with the sales manager, not a floor salesman.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out as I'll be doing this next year.

I guess it's settled--Bennington.  Wow, a new house in Tellico Village.  I'm impressed.  That's a really premier place to live--and somewhat of a secret outside of Tennessee.  You cannot beat the Tennessee River system--650 miles of the best river cruising in the U.S.  I like having homes and boathouses right up on the water--and not with a huge buffer zone around the lakes (like U.S. Corp of Engineers lakes.)

And you're fortunate to have a somewhat aggressive Bennington dealer in Knoxville.  I remember his prices on my exact Bennie was lower than the price I paid in the Nashville area--but it was too late.  I forget the dealer's name, however he's been with Bennington quite sometime.

I realize this is a Bennington forum but want to get some opinions on comparing their tritoon fish and cruise with a G-3. The G-3 comes standard with quite a bit more equipment. Like equipped boat is several thousand dollars less?? Don't throw me under the bus. First purchase of one. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Look at the quality and warranty between the two. Resale is also a huge factor. A couple has a G3 on our lake and it looks very cheap. There is that old saying "you get what you pay for"

Look at the quality and warranty between the two. Resale is also a huge factor. A couple has a G3 on our lake and it looks very cheap. There is that old saying "you get what you pay for"

We looked at the G3 before we purchased. That was exactly what we saw; it looked cheap. Even purchasing an entry level 20' Benny with the 90HP and minimal interior, it looked so much better than the G3. Then when we were ready to upgrade, I considered other brands, but not for long. We went back with Bennington. Other makers just don't seem to be on the same level. Good luck with yours.

Back