Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

Possible to paint the rails?

Discussion in 'Pontoon Forum' started by lostpacket, Jan 13, 2018 at 6:38 AM.

1. lostpacket

lostpacket Active Member

The more I see it the more I love the blackout rails but I didn't want to spend the money on them. Now that my boat has been delivered (not picked up) I'm starting to think about what I can do to it. :) Curious if it would be "easy" to paint them black with the correct paint. Can they be removed or would I have to do it on the boat? Would it hold up over time, would it look painted on?

2. lakeliving

lakeliving Well-Known Member

I don’t believe they are painted from the factory but anodized black.

3. gnc1017

gnc1017 Well-Known Member

They are anodized. Even the silver you have are anodized - just clear instead of black. Another advantage, Bennington.

Personally, not sure I'd attempt painting them, considering the difficulty and potential issues down the road. Just my opinion though.

Anodized is much more durable than any coating.

4. SEMPERFI8387

SEMPERFI8387 Moderator

As stated, they are anodized. Your talking a huge undertaking being the panels are crimped onto the rails. You MIGHT possibly find someone to cover the panels and powder coat the rails. I would say powder coating would be more durable, as I've already found some light scratches in my Blackout. Definitely not as durable as expected, BUT, I knew going in scratches were going to happen, and I just keep a sharpie on hand for touch ups. You can barely notice the touch ups.

5. ILLINOIS AVE

ILLINOIS AVE Well-Known Member

I would get the Bennington first of all, put it in the water, give it a season and enjoy it. See if next year you still feel the same about your rails. We all have the urge to make our Bennington's look the best they can, actually they already look the best. Enjoy!

Vikingstaff and lakeliving like this.
  6. Vikingstaff

Vikingstaff Well-Known Member

^ Ditto what was said above. Give it a season and see what you think first. You might find you don’t want to change them at all.