POSSIBLE TO UPGRADE 20SF 70HP WITH XL115 PERFORMANCE (3RD PONTOON AND 115HP) AFTERMARKET?

belts001

Reaction score
Owned my 20SF with Yamaha 70HP with 2 - 25 in pontoons for 2 years.  Wish my boat was faster.  Really wish I would have known about the XL 115 performance upgrade when I purchased.  I'm wondering if its possible to have this upgrade performed aftermarket?

Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. Question is, is it worth it? If you've taken good care of your 20SF you haven't taken much of a hit in value. Might be more cost effective to trade it for a 21' and not be limited to the 115 hp of a 20' . Lots of members here have upgraded from 115 to 150 and they all say there's no comparison in performance.

+1 for selling and rebuying. That is what we did and have no regrets. Only took me 3 months to realize I needed a faster boat!

+2 on selling and repurchase.

I have a friend here in Michigan that is trying to purchase a used pontoon but they seem to get snatched up about as quick as they go on sale. You might be pleasantly surprised what you can get for yours.

Sell current one and buy the one you want.

I also tried to find a good used one when I was in the market. They are hard to come by. Waiting in line happens. I gave up and bought the new one; a 20' with the F90. Two years later, I sold it within 15 minutes of deciding to sell, and bought the 24' tritoon with the F150.

Like Spoiledrotten, I looked for a gently used Bennington. But once I decided on a 100+hp engine my options went to zero. It appears there's plenty of demand for Benningtons. You might be surprised at the cost to upgrade. I ended up ordering a 22ssxapg (Extended Deck) then upgraded from a 115 to a 150 thanks to the many posts on this subject. We anticipate delivery about Feb 1st. Best of luck!

Back