Post up your other toys or hobbies ..... AGAIN

I hear you Dave. I was really bummed when we sold our beetle convertible this spring. I thought we would have hung on to that one for a long long time. It just wasn't practical with the little one.

I hear you Dave. I was really bummed when we sold our beetle convertible this spring. I thought we would have hung on to that one for a long long time. It just wasn't practical with the little one.

Yeah .... that old "practical" gene showing it's ugly face ....  :lol:

I just sent the dealer an email stating he better send me an offer soon as I'm having second thoughts. I can get a lot of chiropractor visits out of the $$$ I'll save.  ;)

Seriously, the practical side of me .... what can I haul with the mini? Lots of luggage with rear seats down or removed. With a Small investment for roof rack .... bikes, kayaks, stand up paddle board, storage bin for luggage on long trip. Throw a $100 light duty hitch and I can haul bikes on the back, cargo carrier, etc ... plus use the roof.

With the Solstice, 2 bikes on hitch rack, and a couple small bags (with top down). Top up, definitely more options for capacity, but top up sucks ...... 

Decisions decisions .....  :(

Yeah .... that old "practical" gene showing it's ugly face ....  :lol:

I just sent the dealer an email stating he better send me an offer soon as I'm having second thoughts. I can get a lot of chiropractor visits out of the $$$ I'll save.  ;)

Seriously, the practical side of me .... what can I haul with the mini? Lots of luggage with rear seats down or removed. With a Small investment for roof rack .... bikes, kayaks, stand up paddle board, storage bin for luggage on long trip. Throw a $100 light duty hitch and I can haul bikes on the back, cargo carrier, etc ... plus use the roof.

With the Solstice, 2 bikes on hitch rack, and a couple small bags (with top down). Top up, definitely more options for capacity, but top up sucks ...... 

Decisions decisions .....  :(

Retired friend of mine (also owns a Bennie) had a beautiful mint Solstice, but ended up in a pre-owned Corvette convertible, much more comfortable ;-)

I want a Tesla. Curious to see what happens with the model 3. I can recharge at work for free so I'd consider it.

I want a Tesla. Curious to see what happens with the model 3. I can recharge at work for free so I'd consider it.

I'm with you. I want a Tesla, and a Polaris Slingshot.

Jill's G37 convertible has very comfortable seats.  The trunk is big enough for a set of golf clubs.  We actually brought her golf bag into all the dealerships.  It has the fastest acceleration except for my drag car from 60 to 90 I have ever experienced.  

Do it when you can!!!   ;)

I think the seats are fine for some people. I think as I've gotten older, my back reminds me of my younger antics. At 18 I was humping bombs onto planes. At 25-30, I was humping drywall and shingles. I think it's finally catching up ....   :blink:  

Gee Dave, you sure did hump a lot of inanimate objects!!  Hehe

Took the Mini for a test drive ... all I can say is .... HOLY SH**!!!  :blink:

177HP Pontiac engine vs. 181HP in the Mini, but the Torque comes in on the Solstice up around 5500 rpms, the Mini, 1600 rpms, and it pulls and pulls and pulls. The wheel mounted paddle shifters and Sport Mode ..... what a beast!!! The style of car vs. car is really apples to oranges. One is a budget sports convertible, the other a ...well..... a Mini. The ride is what I've read and expected. It's not a Cadillac, and never meant to ride like one. I've watched many reviews and laugh when these "reviewers" talk about the "interior" layout. It's a frickin Mini, it's supposed to be odd!!! Also found that the "Mini" crowd has the wave just like the "Jeep" crowd..... great, my hand will never rest on the wheel ...  :lol:

I'm with you. I want a Tesla, and a Polaris Slingshot.

Rockie69,

Do some research on the Slingshot as I have heard about people getting a hot foot on the floorboard. I guess they may be correcting the issue with some type of heat shield.

I had a Road King and a Streetglide but sold them about a year ago as I decided that was not the way I wanted to go out. Way too many people texting and trying to drive. I had a few close calls and made my mind up to sell. I would like my next toy to be a Factory Five Cobra. We'll see what the future holds. 

177HP Pontiac engine vs. 181HP in the Mini, but the Torque comes in on the Solstice up around 5500 rpms, the Mini, 1600 rpms, and it pulls and pulls and pulls. The wheel mounted paddle shifters and Sport Mode ..... what a beast!!! The style of car vs. car is really apples to oranges. One is a budget sports convertible, the other a ...well..... a Mini. The ride is what I've read and expected. It's not a Cadillac, and never meant to ride like one. I've watched many reviews and laugh when these "reviewers" talk about the "interior" layout. It's a frickin Mini, it's supposed to be odd!!! Also found that the "Mini" crowd has the wave just like the "Jeep" crowd..... great, my hand will never rest on the wheel ...  :lol:

The Mini is a modder's dream, so between the new Benny and a Mini we may lose you and Panthergirl for months! Here is my friend's '07 Mini Cooper S w/JCW (John Cooper Works package):
/monthly_2017_05/large.5914610d74527_GeorgesMini.jpeg.8fbdc1ec5fd98f9cdd3fc15fb4aa3255.jpeg

And his (still growing) list of mods:

Functioning Hood Scoop Grate replacementJCW Tuning kit (Air box, ECU Tune, JCW Exhaust)Alta / Cobb Accessport ECU Tune tool / softwareJCW WheelsExtra Large FMIC (Front Mount InterCooler)NM Engineering Aluminum Air charge PipesResonator delete kitNM Engineering Stability braceHK Rear SwaybarNM Engineering Cold air IntakeOil Catch Can

Driving the Mini is a real Ba**  Bust!! I love to drive it at the beach. Not quite as comfortable as our Explorer conversion van, but a lot of fun for sure. You need to buy it! 

Do they have one in a 20HP version? LOL

Ha Semper.  Builderbob got you on the HP rating question. :D

But I'll have to go along with the paddle shifting on the wheel and the Sport mode. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee has those features and it sure digs some horses out of somewhere for sure. Makes it a blast to drive. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well which one???

/monthly_2017_05/large.IMG_0199.JPG.a2ee7db36ed9b0ccd7e70ced55e44df7.JPG

Ok .... this one .....

/monthly_2017_05/large.IMG_0410.JPG.a4f61983c7e95f02b02d2e44ec731e8c.JPG

OH NO,...not that again.

Hahahaha .... same thing as boat. We NEVER intended to go red, and when I started looking at Mini Coopers, I wasn't looking for red. Panthergirl found this online, so after driving up to look at it (couple miles from lake) I was interested. After driving it, I was hooked. I'll miss my Solstice, but it was not being enjoyed like it deserved. Hopefully, someone out there buys it that can enjoy it even more than we did ...... but I do have a sunroof, so I'm cool with that !!!

Functioning Hood Scoop Grate replacementJCW Tuning kit (Air box, ECU Tune, JCW Exhaust)Alta / Cobb Accessport ECU Tune tool / softwareJCW WheelsExtra Large FMIC (Front Mount InterCooler)NM Engineering Aluminum Air charge PipesResonator delete kitNM Engineering Stability braceHK Rear SwaybarNM Engineering Cold air IntakeOil Catch Can

How are you going to go boating when you have all this work to do ???

There are some great toys in this thread - great to see so many different tastes.

Since my original post on the first page, I've added two more cars to the stable - both Porsche's, of course!

1994 964 widebody carrera - one of 250 that were imported and one of 4 in this color.

And a 2011 Boxster Spyder - probably one of the best cars Porsche has ever build (no kidding). 

Oh, and at the end of last year I built a racing sim rig for some driving fun in the basement over the winter!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some great toys in this thread - great to see so many different tastes.

Since my original post on the first page, I've added two more cars to the stable - both Porsche's, of course!

1994 964 widebody carrera - one of 250 that were imported and one of 4 in this color.

And a 2011 Boxster Spyder - probably one of the best cars Porsche has ever build (no kidding). 

Oh, and at the end of last year I built a racing sim rig for some driving fun in the basement over the winter!

Love them both!! Funny thing is probably 3-4 weeks ago I saw a white boxster spyder that looked exactly like yours on a car hauler parked here! VERY rare thing to see in Dauphin Manitoba!! 

Back