Power Assist added

Great pic!  I love the 1 finger steering, and you won't hear the whine eventually. 

It actually sounds like it is getting louder. Didn't notice any leaks so that is good. I did notice when listening to FM when turning the wheel it causes interference with the radio. I guess this is normal??? Kind of annoying.

Make sure it if full of fluid. The antenna might be close to your steering wheel causing the interference.

Just an FYI. No whine, no interference here at all.  

Be sure to check antenna location. Be sure it's separated from anything that might cause EMI. Speaker cables, DC wires, anything!

There are noise suppression filters you can put into the power feed to your stereo. We used to have to do it all the time "back in the day" to remove engine ignition noise.

Thanks guys. I'll start with the antenna and go from there. I'll try and get some video of the whine next time out. It might be normal.

That's not a whine coming from your power assist. They accidentally put a turbo charger on that thing, and you're hearing it spool. :D

And like the others have said, that's a great shot of the little man! Cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Randy! I guess I need to add a blow off valve then! I love that sound!

I've got a pretty good whine as well - always have.  It is barely noticeable at idle when turning slow, but when turning quickly, it is quite loud.  When underway, I can't hear it.  I believe it is normal.

Andy, my boat is being rigged today. They put the ps pump under the stern lounge next to the battery. I was told to both reduce stereo interference and its roomy there. 

Makes sense having it back there. You won't be able to hear yours at all!

My boat is still in storage by I'm 90% sure mine is under the seat lounger, not to far from the fuel filter. It makes a little noise at idle with heavy input but other than that I don't notice anything.

8097176A-DE08-47E0-AE7A-BB7D4DBB5230_zpsw0ef3wrg.jpg

That seems to be the standard place for us SLX-ers.  I don't even notice it unless I'm purposely listening for it.

I'm sure mine is under the helm due to being added after the fact like Carl's.

Back