Power Assist or No Power Assist

Heck...why not jump up to the 250?

I bit the bullet Saturday and ordered my first boat.  I thought I knew what I wanted now an second guessing.  I went with the F175 because the dealer said I wouldn't need power steering with that motor.  I am getting the 2375 RCW.  Most opins here seem to think I'll want the power steering even with the 175.  Might as well go to 200 then.  There's another $4400.  

I have been reading this forum for a couple weeks and you have all been incredibly helpful.  thanks so much!
I have a 2375 RCW Sport Arch  ,If you are getting an Arch or Tower ,that increases the over all  weight .

Dealer has told me that my arch weighs as much as having  two addition people on board 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing the SPS toon pkg on recommendation from Bennington VP of Sales, Western US.

Me: "Honey I think I'm going to upgrade to the 200hp."

My wife: "Not sure what that means but whatever you think is ok with me."

Me: "I'll go ahead and let them know about the change tomorrow."

My wife:  leaves the room

Me:  fist pumping :D

I'm doing the SPS toon pkg on recommendation from Bennington VP of Sales, Western US.

That's AWESOME!   Congrats on the great 'toon

I'd like to see the follow up conversation when it comes time to pay!!!! Someone else might be fist pumping at your head!!!!

I'd continue to push the envelope. Try a 250 in the conversation.

Hey, one of many things I'm not too familiar with and never discussed with dealer is the best prop for my boat.  Will it come with a "standard" prop and be my responsibility to change it out later if I want a different one or should I be looking at having something else factory installed now?

I see there are a couple prop threads but just curious if there is a consensus on best prop for my 2375 RCW w/ SPS Package and pushed by the F200?

Rockie69 I see you have the 2375 with a 250.  You might have to coach me through that conversation.

The dealer is responsible for proping.

Some dealers take it more seriously than others though. Mine put on the cheapest aluminum prop they could find and were not the least bit interested in how it performed. If you want a stainless prop and you have certain expectations such as being able to swap it out if it doesn't perform as expected, make sure to hash that out with them before everything is agreed upon. 

Rockie69 I see you have the 2375 with a 250.  You might have to coach me through that conversation.
Same conversation. Just enter 250 in the place of 200. ;)

"Honey, availability of the new 200 is limited, but the 250 is in good supply"

Swabber,

My 250 came with a 17p, but I had a 19p that gives me better overall numbers.

opinions please - I have an order in for a 2015 - 21SLX twin tube with a lighter new generation 115HP Yamaha with cable steering and under skinning. Hydraulic steering maybe? I don't have it on my 125HP fiberglass deck boat and it hasn't been a problem at all. I just don't want to make a mistake. I've also ordered the nutmeg(grey) aqua-teak. has anyone had any experience with this color and it getting dirty and not being able to clean it? I went with this color because boat is granite grey with matador red accent and sandstone interior.

Thanks all,

Dan

Adding hydraulic later as a DIY is $1000 (not power, just hydraulic).  Not sure what it is on a new boat anymore.

I don't like my kids driving my boat because of the constant motor torque on the steering wheel.  If you let go, you go into the death spiral.  Hydraulic, as I understand, eliminates this.  From a pure safety point of view, this is probably worth the upgrade.  You can't take your hands off a cable steering wheel for a second at speed or you'll go into a hard turn. 

The constant torque on the wheel does make it easier to turn to go back after a fallen tube or skier though!  You just let the wheel slip through your hands...

I wish I would have gotten it with the boat.  It isn't a huge percentage upgrade compared to the overall price of the boat.  And, steering is something you ALWAYS do while boating, so the upgrade certainly gets used EVERY time you are on the boat. 

Not sure what it is on a new boat anymore.  

$1,269 on a 22 SFX

Back