Power Hydraulic Assist

Miken

Reaction score
Just took out my new 25 RSFBA for the second time this weekend. On my test drive I commented on how stiff the steering was. The salesperson said that was the hydraulic assist. It is "that way so when you are cruising it will stay on line". Well after using it and it almost always feeling like I need to use two hands to move it, I went looking on the forum for potential issues. I do have the ESP package which has the Sea Star Hydraulic steering. I also have the "power assist steering" which in everything i read should provide much easier steering. Is it possible the "power assist steering" is not working??

Unless you paid extra for “power assist steering,” you probably don’t have it. Is it listed on the specs sheet? If so something is definitely wrong. One finger is all I need to turn mine.

Follow the lines from the back of the helm and you should find something like this.

Either you don’t have power assist or somethings wrong. As stated mine is one finger steering for sure. My pump is under the lounger. It should be accessible if it’s on the boat.

Definitely paid for the option. It is on the build sheet. I also failed to mention it is powered by a 300 hp Yamaha

Take it back!!! A single palm is all I use when docking, haven’t convinced myself on a knob yet!

Someone with actual experience with a 300 Yami will need to confirm, but I believe that motor has integral power steering. There will not be an external pump. But, I am willing to be wrong.

There may still be a problem, but look into your installation, first.

Someone with actual experience with a 300 Yami will need to confirm, but I believe that motor has integral power steering. There will not be an external pump. But, I am willing to be wrong.

There may still be a problem, but look into your installation, first.

A Yamaha 300 has separate pump for power assisted steering. My guess is you have an installation problem.

Ditto what many have said. Mine turns easy, palm of the hand easy, with a finger if I wished kind of easy. Carl’s picture above is how mine looks, with the pump under the counsel/helm. I would absolutely take it in and have them look that element over. Something sounds to be off.

I was able to look this morning and there is not a pump under the helm like cwag911's pic (thanks for the visual). Mine has a kicker amp under the helm but the corner where cwag911's is located is empty. I was not able to get all the way into the space to see if it could possibly under the dash closer to the throttle. I have several other things to be checked out when I go for the break in service so I will add this to the list. Just glad to know it is not supposed to be that difficult to drive, especially when docking!!

They forgot to put the power assist in and the dealer did not notice? All I can do is shake my head if that is true.

I was able to look this morning and there is not a pump under the helm like cwag911's pic (thanks for the visual). Mine has a kicker amp under the helm but the corner where cwag911's is located is empty. I was not able to get all the way into the space to see if it could possibly under the dash closer to the throttle. I have several other things to be checked out when I go for the break in service so I will add this to the list. Just glad to know it is not supposed to be that difficult to drive, especially when docking!!
I installed that myself under the helm. On a "Q" it could be anywhere, possibly under a seat or by the battery. See which way the hoses go from the engine. It could be that the purple "trigger" wire wasn't connected. I would already be on the phone with your dealer.

Back