Power option Plus

jonesjj3

Reaction score
Greetings All,
New to this forum and Bennington, I am trying to spec out a new 22' SSX Cruse / Fishing with duel stern gates. I am in the St. Petersburg Fl area and will be mostly in Tampa Bay and maybe running down past the skyway bridge and down to Egmont Key.

I am having trouble trying to decide on a power set up, I am thinking Yamaha, i4 150 or the i4 200, most of my boating (say 70%) will be entertaining with 4-10 people at the sandbar and crusing and rest doing some fishing with 4 or so people.

With a new build from scratch I can power with what ever boat will take, want to only do it one time though, every one says go most you can put on and afford which makes sense as long as there is not much down side / reliability to the motor you chose and have good dealer support for it. I see I have 2 choices as far as dealers, Riverside marine in Tampa and Ingman marine in sarasota.

Would like to hear from anyone with either of these motors and support from any of these dealers as are you happy or would you change things. I do see a lot of i4 f150 on but also see some i4 200 on some just from observation.

Well any responce is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the family (almost). :cool: When my wife and I travel to the Caribbean, 99% of the motors I see are Yamaha. You won't have a problem. Buy the most the boat will hold as you never know about storms in the Gulf.

Can you put a 200 on a 22’? I have the I4 200 and love it. No issues after 4 seasons of use. Looking forward many more years with it.

Good to hear back from some yes I am getting the tritoon option and can put the 200 on it I just check mark the 200 sticker option on Bennington build site and it gives me that motor option, if you dont check mark it it will only let you check up to 150.

lakeliving what prop are you running on your 200?

I’m running the Yamaha reliance in a 15” pitch.

I was wondering on the prop as I have read that over proping the 200 and not being able to get close to the 6000 rpm the motor could do the ( making oil ) thing and most responce to that was not running high enough rpm by over prop it.

Don’t run Yamaha’s but in the HP end I’m in favor of the 200. The 150 will run great and probably do the trick but as you load it with people and gear you’ll notice the add on. With a 200 on the back the extra people and gear won’t be as noticeable. I’ve spoke with a few 150 owners and their fuel consumption was on par with mine....... still haven’t figured out where 1/2 throttle is! :)
Just remember you won’t be able to buy that 50hp in future without a substantial dent in the wallet!

Agree on the getting the extra 50hp now rather than later if I am going to get it. I am new to boating so I have to ask what do you mean by
( Don't run Yamaha's but in the HP end )

Yea hoping staying in the mid range with load when crusing and getting decent fuel consumption ( for a 200 ) and thinking that should be in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range while still getting 25 plus mph with proper prop dia and pitch.

I'm guessing he means go with the 200hp vs. 150hp.

Agree on the getting the extra 50hp now rather than later if I am going to get it. I am new to boating so I have to ask what do you mean by
( Don't run Yamaha's but in the HP end )
He meant he doesn't have a Yamaha, he has an E-tec (Evinrude).

Go with the 200. No better time to buy it and you'll make never have any regrets

Yeah i think its SPS + ???, it was 175 max on a SPS 22. For me, an extra 50 on a 22 would be rocking, especially w/ light load. Go for it now, no regrets.

Don’t run Yamaha’s , but in the HP end I’m in favor of the 200.

Inserted comma, make sense.

Yup got it now, Well on Tue I will be heading to dealer to speck out my new 22SSX-APGP with SPS package and it will be with the F200 i4 on it! that part done.

Now try to come up with a prop for it that will be some what close to start, will def be SS but which one???? and which Make for this motor or what most have had the best luck with having about the same configuration.

One other question if you guys don't mind, is there such a thing as using a break in prop for first 10 hr or so? then going with another prop for running or do you just get the prop you think you want and do the break in with that hoping you get the right performance and RPM you want for the way you are going to be running it?

If the dealer’s good he’ll nail the prop right up front and you can run it from the start.

Thanks Mattb for the corrected grammar! Must be that Pa redneck in me! :)

That would be great if the dealer can do that, I would hope they could.

I sent Ken @ Propgods an email and got a responce from him, told him specs and config he email me back with this prop for a starting point, SS Powertech REL3 in 15 pitch for $409.00 and said if it is not working out could exchange for $35.00 to try another.

I would search through these forums for propping and engine hole mounting posts. There were a bunch last spring into early summer.

I went through this process last year on our 2017 Bennington. It’s not as straight forward as it might appear as there are different variables that impact it: weight of boat vs. set up with accessories, 2 v 3 toons, engine v height and hole mount, engine v prop, typical number of people and gear weight, and expected use v performance.

There is a bit of an “art”, and not just “pure science” to dialing it all in IF picky about maximum performance for intended uses/tasks. The dealer I bought the boat from was willling to work with me with daily loaner ss props during this process.

It took me a couple of trial ss props to get to one I decided to stick with, and I probably could still could probably move up 1 prop to maximize speed performance on my SPS set up. I simply got tired of the process, and am happy with where my performance is at now.

Ken @ Propgods is pretty highly recommended. There are also online articles on engine hole mounting with an eye on the cavitation plate as well as propping a pontoon. Mercury has an interative prop selector online tool that is great.

General Forums link for propping a boat:

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/forums/members-zone-props-and-power.24/

Mercury Prop Selector:

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/propellers/selector/#!/step-one

Two articles on engine hole mounting and cavitation plate alignment:

http://www.boats.com/how-to/the-out...board-engine-height-adjustments/#.WlI-RCROmhA

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_...s/dts/dealerlibraries/8441/copetipstricks.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for the links I will take a look at them, I know this is going to be a process on the props, base on config of the boat and its intended use, one thing I forgot/did not think of was the motor height as I am sure the performance of the prop will depend on how high or low the motor is. Being new there is a lot of things to think about, the whole thing about how high or low the motor should be there seems to be (from reading) that the cavitation plate should be in the water just a little at WOT (I think). I am hoping that what ever dealer I go with can get me a good starting point for my configuration and I can get it dial in to where I am happy with just a few changes and not a a bunch of them.

Yes, hopefully your dealer will properly set it up from the very beginning for optimal performance! Good luck and enjoy the process.

Back