Power option Plus

I had the 200 Yamaha on my last boat and loved it. I don’t think you can go wrong with 200 on this set up.

Thanks there is a Lot more to it once you try and think through as much as you can before buy.

I have the Reliance 14 1/4 x 17 on my 200, works great -- mounted top hole, 5850 rpm.

Thanks Mattb for the corrected grammar! Must be that Pa redneck in me! :)[/QUOTE]

There's at least one of those in Ohio too, they made us go to school though. :p

Greetings All,
New to this forum and Bennington, I am trying to spec out a new 22' SSX Cruse / Fishing with duel stern gates. I am in the St. Petersburg Fl area and will be mostly in Tampa Bay and maybe running down past the skyway bridge and down to Egmont Key.

I am having trouble trying to decide on a power set up, I am thinking Yamaha, i4 150 or the i4 200, most of my boating (say 70%) will be entertaining with 4-10 people at the sandbar and crusing and rest doing some fishing with 4 or so people.

With a new build from scratch I can power with what ever boat will take, want to only do it one time though, every one says go most you can put on and afford which makes sense as long as there is not much down side / reliability to the motor you chose and have good dealer support for it. I see I have 2 choices as far as dealers, Riverside marine in Tampa and Ingman marine in sarasota.

Would like to hear from anyone with either of these motors and support from any of these dealers as are you happy or would you change things. I do see a lot of i4 f150 on but also see some i4 200 on some just from observation.

Well any responce is greatly appreciated.

Greetings - I learned today some dealers have "earned" $500 Yamaha discount coupons good towards 150 HP motors only. This is on top of the $750 Yamaha promotion. So if an extra $500 savings is important, you might consider discussing the coupons with your dealer. (As I understand it dealers were given a limited number of $500 coupons based upon their 2017 sales.) Good luck to you!

Just make sure that your dealer puts in writing to install the proper SS prop.
I did with mine and we tested 5 different props to get the right one.
I would check out the Merc Enertia prop as it seems to be the best setup for pontoons.
The dealer can put a Yamaha hub in it to fit your engine.

MB-how did your testing end up. I remember over the summer the Honda rep was going to come out (I think I remember that right) and read in another post that you're running 48-49 with Bimini open. Curious on your prop and mounting location as we have the same boat and you're 4-5 mph faster. I've seen
Just make sure that your dealer puts in writing to install the proper SS prop.
I did with mine and we tested 5 different props to get the right one.
I would check out the Merc Enertia prop as it seems to be the best setup for pontoons.
The dealer can put a Yamaha hub in it to fit your engine.
48.5 but pretty light with only me on board. Typically 44-46 with normal loads.

Greetings All,
New to this forum and Bennington, I am trying to spec out a new 22' SSX Cruse / Fishing with duel stern gates. I am in the St. Petersburg Fl area and will be mostly in Tampa Bay and maybe running down past the skyway bridge and down to Egmont Key.

I am having trouble trying to decide on a power set up, I am thinking Yamaha, i4 150 or the i4 200, most of my boating (say 70%) will be entertaining with 4-10 people at the sandbar and crusing and rest doing some fishing with 4 or so people.

With a new build from scratch I can power with what ever boat will take, want to only do it one time though, every one says go most you can put on and afford which makes sense as long as there is not much down side / reliability to the motor you chose and have good dealer support for it. I see I have 2 choices as far as dealers, Riverside marine in Tampa and Ingman marine in sarasota.

Would like to hear from anyone with either of these motors and support from any of these dealers as are you happy or would you change things. I do see a lot of i4 f150 on but also see some i4 200 on some just from observation.

Well any responce is greatly appreciated.
We just purchased a 22ssx tritoon with the fishing station. Had the same ideas and thoughts about engine size. We ended up going with the i4 150 Yamaha after much debate (and strong feelings about power to the highest by me). This being our first Toon ever I went with the advice of some trusted friends who navigate the same waters as us. The St Lucie River is where we call home these days and loving every bit of it from the calm conditions even on windy days to the fantastic sunset cruises, fishing in awesome wild rustic preserves, gator watching at night and a half hour cruise to the saltwater arena for some sand bar relaxation, occasional dinner on the intercoastal waterway. The 150 has been both a gas saver to a power house when needed. Lack of power has never been an issue even with 9 adults on board. Let's face it these Toons are made to entertain and Bennington does this with class, so everyone but me was against the 200hp and now I can say with all due respect for horsepower that as for the 150hp "I'm onboard".

We just purchased a 22ssx tritoon with the fishing station. Had the same ideas and thoughts about engine size. We ended up going with the i4 150 Yamaha after much debate (and strong feelings about power to the highest by me). This being our first Toon ever I went with the advice of some trusted friends who navigate the same waters as us. The St Lucie River is where we call home these days and loving every bit of it from the calm conditions even on windy days to the fantastic sunset cruises, fishing in awesome wild rustic preserves, gator watching at night and a half hour cruise to the saltwater arena for some sand bar relaxation, occasional dinner on the intercoastal waterway. The 150 has been both a gas saver to a power house when needed. Lack of power has never been an issue even with 9 adults on board. Let's face it these Toons are made to entertain and Bennington does this with class, so everyone but me was against the 200hp and now I can say with all due respect for horsepower that as for the 150hp "I'm onboard".

We need to talk! I just moved down from MI and will be closing on a home in Seagate harbor in Palm City in a couple weeks.

MB-how did your testing end up. I remember over the summer the Honda rep was going to come out (I think I remember that right) and read in another post that you're running 48-49 with Bimini open. Curious on your prop and mounting location as we have the same boat and you're 4-5 mph faster. I've seen

48.5 but pretty light with only me on board. Typically 44-46 with normal loads.

I'm surprised that your SHO is running slower. I've been told that they are faster. What prop are you running? I'm now running a 14x21 Merc Enertia and it has made all the difference.
My Enertia bites so good that it is proposing at 48-49 mph at about 6000 with throttle left and I see no real difference with the top up.
My engine is mounted 1 hole up and I get no cavitation even trimmed up in a hard turn..
The factory rep did some testing with myself and the tech on board. We spent about 2-3 hours together.
That was before the props came in for testing.
He didn't think that the Honda prop was causing any problems.
He did some throttle adjustments and other testing and really was trying to make sure that I was satisfied with the Engine but really didn't change much.
I am really satisfied my dealer and how he has bent over backwards making it all right.
We are now Very happy with this setup.

I'm surprised that your SHO is running slower. I've been told that they are faster. What prop are you running? I'm now running a 14x21 Merc Enertia and it has made all the difference.
My Enertia bites so good that it is proposing at 48-49 mph at about 6000 with throttle left and I see no real difference with the top up.
My engine is mounted 1 hole up and I get no cavitation even trimmed up in a hard turn..
The factory rep did some testing with myself and the tech on board. We spent about 2-3 hours together.
That was before the props came in for testing.
He didn't think that the Honda prop was causing any problems.
He did some throttle adjustments and other testing and really was trying to make sure that I was satisfied with the Engine but really didn't change much.
I am really satisfied my dealer and how he has bent over backwards making it all right.
We are now Very happy with this setup.
I'm currently running a 15 1/2x16 Yamaha swsII prop. I have a cheaper Solas 15 1/2x17 that may go on Saturday. Really think I may just bite the bullet and get an enertia. Have yet hear anyone complain about one. I'll keep you posted on my props and mounting location. Think I'll test the 17 for a while then maybe raise the motor one hole this spring with annual service. See if I can't get this Yamaha up to speed. Thanks for the reply.

The dealer said he knows what prop for the tritoon with 200 on it, there was an unexpected discount I was not planing on of 2,900.00 so that made buying the 200 little easier on the wallet.

Careful with that dealer advice. Mine swore they knew exactly which prop to put on mine last year, and since it was a ss enertia, I figured they’d be correct. However, they didn’t put the right pitch on, and it took an afternoon of trying two more pitch size ss enertia props, and playing around with it, to dial ours in last year. And even then, I think I still can go up one more size in pitch to tweak my performance. I just got tired of messing with it, and my performance is now very solid.

I hope they are right, but make sure they are willing to experiment with props if your performance falls short of what is possible with your set up. They might nail it. However, they might not. Lots of variables with a toon once you drop on a bunch of options, and then differentiate for different owners goals.

Roger that, I am going to get that break in on it as soon as possible and see where we are at with performance and go from there dealer seems to be pretty easy to work with for now, we will see how he is after delivery of the boat, he is telling me some time mid to late march on delivery.

I'm currently running a 15 1/2x16 Yamaha swsII prop. I have a cheaper Solas 15 1/2x17 that may go on Saturday. Really think I may just bite the bullet and get an enertia. Have yet hear anyone complain about one. I'll keep you posted on my props and mounting location. Think I'll test the 17 for a while then maybe raise the motor one hole this spring with annual service. See if I can't get this Yamaha up to speed. Thanks for the reply.

I'd like to know what RPM's you 're turning. With my Honda, red line is 6200 but my dealer says to stay around 6000.
Stay away from the Solas prop as that is what the Honda uses and it does not work!!
I couldn't even make a turn with out it blowing out. The Enertia fixed it all!

I am going to call my dealer on monday and ask exactly what prop he is suggesting he told me a month ago when we spec it out but there was so much I was thinking about I have forgot exactly which one it was.

I'd like to know what RPM's you 're turning. With my Honda, red line is 6200 but my dealer says to stay around 6000.
Stay away from the Solas prop as that is what the Honda uses and it does not work!!
I couldn't even make a turn with out it blowing out. The Enertia fixed it all!
Thanks for the advice on the solas. I picked up a new one for 265 so I thought I could maybe use it to test a 17 pitch and then maybe sell my 16 and get a swsII 17. With the 16 pitch and clean tubes with light load I can turn 61-6200 so I'm sure I'm on the rev limiter. With our normal load I'm usually at 59-6000. Make sure you stay on them jjones. It gets expensive to swap a bunch of ss props.

Find a prop dealer/shop that will let you test props

Was talking with some friends and going to check with a prop repair shop that may let me test props and exchange (with out damage) till we get right one.

My dealer let me test props (no charge if no damage). After dropping serious $ on a boat, being able to test props until performance matches boat/motor capability needs to be part of the deal.

Back