Power question with increased hp

Oldchuck

Reaction score
Trying to get a handle on how speed increases with a given amount of horsepower increase. My question: Looking at the 115 Yamaha engine and know that the SHO with another 300 rpm available produces a bit more HP and wondering at the top end with any of the performance packages IF you would see any noticeable gain with say a 8-12 HP increase? With the price of only a few hundred more and if you saw an increase of say 1.5 or 2 mph that it would be a good buy. However, I doubt the engine makes any more midrange power so it would just be at WOT if needed...

I'm no expert, but I just went thru this myself. Based on what I learned going from a 115 to a 150, or 150 to a 200 or a 200 to a 250 are all nice gains and you'd gain a few mph and better performance. Spending the extra money to go from say a 150 to a 175 or a 200 to a 225 might be a disappointing upgrade for the money spent.

I remember reading in 2010 while researching a bass boat the 2 stroke 200hp Mercury Opti Max was about 212hp - 216hp on the dyno and the 225 was 222hp - 225hp. In that case spending the extra $$ on the 225 would be a very small improvement and not wise IMO.

Another story; this last winter while shopping for a pontoon I asked a sales manager if it was worth it to upgrade to to a 225hp from a 200hp (Yamaha). He told me about a year ago his Yamaha Rep noticed how many 225's they were selling and told him it was a waste of $$, because the 200 was almost as strong.

I think the manufacturing rule is an engine only has to be within 10% of the advertised HP. Based on how the ratings are rounded off (so to speak) for marketing reasons, some engines are stronger than others.

Baja,
Thanks for the info. I do agree. Most of the Yamaha 115's are right on but some a tad lower HP as it has the same block as the 90. However the 150 is usually around 165 HP so the 150 is a big jump in performance that most really feel if they make the switch from a 115 as they could see a 50 hp increase. My basic question was I know the Yamaha 115 SHO is big in small bass boats and does offer a few more miles an hour with maybe a 8 or so HP bump. I am just trying to learn Toons and do not know if the SHO difference would really be felt in a much heaver boat than a bass boat as well as the toons do not ride up on top like a bass boat. Again, trying to understand toons and bring my past knowledge of everything but a toon into play..

When I ordered our boat I could have bought the new Mercury as a 200hp V8 Pro XS (Bass Boat) version or the V6 version that is still 200hp. Everyone told me the V8 was tuned for higher RPM running and not needed on a pontoon. I don't know, but I would imagine the SHO is kind of the same thing. I ordered the V6 version of the 200hp and spent the extra $$ on other options. I'll know in a month or so if I made the right choice.

When I ordered our boat I could have bought the new Mercury as a 200hp V8 Pro XS (Bass Boat) version or the V6 version that is still 200hp. Everyone told me the V8 was tuned for higher RPM running and not needed on a pontoon. I don't know, but I would imagine the SHO is kind of the same thing. I ordered the V6 version of the 200hp and spent the extra $$ on other options. I'll know in a month or so if I made the right choice.

Don’t know if you’ll feel the same way, but we have athe v6 200hp Mercury Verado Pro on our 2017. I think its a spectacular motor. It is amazing quiet for as much instance power as it has. We are using it on a 24’ SSBXP. Your G-series boats are heavier, but my boat is longer, so my guess is we will be in the same ballpark for boat weight. I think you’ll be impressed with it.

Comparing a bass boat performance increase to a pontoon does not work. You have much more wetted surface and resulting drag on the pontoon. The higher horsepowered engines will give some increase in speed but the real upside is lessening of speed loss when adding weight. I went from a 40 to 90 to 120hp on same pontoon boat. Top speed increase 3 mph but the speed loss when loaded with 6-8 people was a huge change for the better.

Many great comment so far and Remediation is spot on in my book. Personally, I'd go for the SHO, knowing that you've then purchased the best available version of your particular engine.

Remediation, I think your assessment is correct. I did not think the few HP difference would make much more more speed but the ability to carry a bit more weight and maintain the same speed would be a positive. I am new to toons so did not want to assume just because I have been around other boats..
However, as Michiman stated if I can get 8-10 more hp even if its at the top end and can do it for a few hundred, why not?
Still going between the 115 and 150 and yeah, I know, no one every regretted having more HP.....

With the past several boats I have always gone with the highest HP rating for he boat and not regretted it but seldom use the power of my 150 with my 21.5 CC as my wife gets antsy over 45mph in the boat. I guess I was just trying to slow down a bit but as has been said, " I don't have to use the power" if not needed....I was just trying to downsize in speed and performance but increase the comfort and use the money saved for my other toys and interests since I do not boat as much as I used to.
With going to the SPS, 150 with PS & PA etc., it adds 10 grand + to the cost and as I said was trying to spread my toys around. If this were 10 or so years ago I would jump on the increased power and cost but I may go weeks between boats uses even though I live on a lake in Florida and have a lift. Life is short with many interests so trying to find a happy medium....However, all the comments offered have had merit and just need to decide what is important to me...

Back