Power steering kits??

Mitch1129

Reaction score
Anyone install a power steering kit on their boat that didn't have power steering before?? Wondering how hard it is to install and how it works??

Carl has ,cwag911 .He should be on later 

Do you have hydraulic steering already and just wanted to upgrade to power, or just regular cable steering? 

/gallery/album_147/gallery_1200_147_10974.jpg

It's not hard to do if you're mechanically inclined. Coming from the automotive field it was easy. I purchased the pump and hoses on Ebay. It was a used pump that came out of a stolen recovery boat. The bracket I had made locally and the plastic line that you can see is the compensating line to the helm. I connected the power and ground directly to the battery and the activating wire to a spare switch on the dash. From the factory it is connected to the key switch. I had my dealer bleed the system when I was done with a machine. It can also be done manually. I would read through this first:  POWER STEERING

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow very cool. Very impressed Cwag. Great information. I'm mechanical inclined so don't think it would be too much of a job. I was looking into the kits on eBay. They are about 5-6 hindered bucks. Figure it should come with everything needed. My 06 Bennington just case cable steering and it's really stiff? This year when I put it in the water it "clicks" continuously as I turn? No idea if that's adjustment problem or cable lubrication? I'm kinda stumped. That's why I posted on here. Please let me know any advice. 

I don't know what you're looking at on Ebay, but if you're going from cable to hydraulic power assist, it's WAY more than $600. You need the pump, helm, hoses, and steering cylinder. You will also need seastar and not baystar steering.

Didn't know that sorry? It was a Baystar set up. Sorry for dumb question but what's the difference? I know nothing about the boat yet, just got it end of last year. Still learning. Thank you for the info so far

No dumb questions here. That's why we all chat on this website. Happy Memorial Day!

Didn't know that sorry? It was a Baystar set up. Sorry for dumb question but what's the difference? I know nothing about the boat yet, just got it end of last year. Still learning. Thank you for the info so far

Yup, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. You can install the Baystar on your boat but you can't add the power assist to it.

It might help to understand pontoon steering terminology.

Cable and pulley steering - the original outboard motor steering solution. A combination of thin cables and small pulleys that somewhat reduced steering effort (due to the pulley effect). It probably hasn't been installed as OEM for 40 (or more) years.

Cable steering - a single cable housed in a sheath. No reduction in steering effort required,  just a better arrangement than cable and pulley. Still installed today in low horsepower applications (below 50 horse or so).

Hydraulic steering - Presently installed in most pontoons above 50 horsepower as OEM. DOES NOT reduce steering effort; mostly helps the motor stay on center and reduce wandering. The presence of a hydraulic cylinder on the motor mount is evidence of this kind of system. I'd wager a guess that 90% of present day pontoon boats are so equipped with hydraulic steering and the most common product names are Baystar or Seastar. Only the Seastar system can be electrically assisted.

Electric power assist - Available as an option and usually piggybacked with the Seastar hydraulic system. This is the only system so far on this list that actually reduces the input necessary to turn the boat. Hydraulic alone? Nope. Electric over hydraulic? Yes. Do not ASSume that your boat has power steering if it is equipped with hydraulic steering.

Internal power steering - This system is factory installed on high horsepower outboards and most I/O installations. On outboards, the system in completely self-contained and uses no external electric motor. On an I/O installation, the pump is attached to the engine block and turned by a pulley, just like the power steering pump on an automobile (which makes sense because most I/O motors are automobile engine-based).

Corrections or clarifications welcomed. I'm currently on the DL for a week or so due to a lacerated finger and stitches (not boating acquired), so I may have some time to add photos to help further explain the differences in these systems.

It might help to understand pontoon steering terminology.

Cable and pulley steering - the original outboard motor steering solution. A combination of thin cables and small pulleys that somewhat reduced steering effort (due to the pulley effect). It probably hasn't been installed as OEM for 40 (or more) years.

Cable steering - a single cable housed in a sheath. No reduction in steering effort required,  just a better arrangement than cable and pulley. Still installed today in low horsepower applications (below 50 horse or so).

Hydraulic steering - Presently installed in most pontoons above 50 horsepower as OEM. DOES NOT reduce steering effort; mostly helps the motor stay on center and reduce wandering. The presence of a hydraulic cylinder on the motor mount is evidence of this kind of system. I'd wager a guess that 90% of present day pontoon boats are so equipped with hydraulic steering and the most common product names are Baystar or Seastar. Only the Seastar system can be electrically assisted.

Electric power assist - Available as an option and usually piggybacked with the Seastar hydraulic system. This is the only system so far on this list that actually reduces the input necessary to turn the boat. Hydraulic alone? Nope. Electric over hydraulic? Yes. Do not ASSume that your boat has power steering if it is equipped with hydraulic steering.

Internal power steering - This system is factory installed on high horsepower outboards and most I/O installations. On outboards, the system in completely self-contained and uses no external electric motor. On an I/O installation, the pump is attached to the engine block and turned by a pulley, just like the power steering pump on an automobile (which makes sense because most I/O motors are automobile engine-based).

Corrections or clarifications welcomed. I'm currently on the DL for a week or so due to a lacerated finger and stitches (not boating acquired), so I may have some time to add photos to help further explain the differences in these systems.

A great explanation of my short and sweet answers. I'm not a typer so, Randy, you can be my wingman anytime.    B)

Ok update. My boat just has cable steering. Guy at the dock looked at it and said to buy complete kit with steering box and cables. He said it prob needs everything or will need everything eventually. Now is that a sea star set up or bay star set up? Trying to figure out my options.....thank you for the help so far. You guys a HUGE help. 

Ok update. My boat just has cable steering. Guy at the dock looked at it and said to buy complete kit with steering box and cables. He said it prob needs everything or will need everything eventually. Now is that a sea star set up or bay star set up? Trying to figure out my options.....thank you for the help so far. You guys a HUGE help. 

Go to Google images and type in "BayStar" and next, "SeaStar." This will give you an idea of what parts come with each kit and what they look like.

Did you read the definitions above? You now understand the neither kit is "power steering"..... right?

Look at THIS for cable steering.

I installed a baystar system in my boat went from cable to it.  Took about an hr from start to finish.  

The hard part was removing the stuck cable.  And the old steering wheel it was stuck.  I have a Bennington  2275 cs

With 90 hp. For my use I got baystar works great and a tad cheaper.  

How much was that kit and where did you get it Bugs if you don't mind me asking? Like to look the specs up on it? 

I installed a baystar system in my boat went from cable to it.  Took about an hr from start to finish.  

The hard part was removing the stuck cable.  And the old steering wheel it was stuck.  I have a Bennington  2275 cs

With 90 hp. For my use I got baystar works great and a tad cheaper.  

You installed a hydraulic system in an hour?

Back