Power steering kits??

Last edited by a moderator:
You installed a hydraulic system in an hour?

Sure did we had it pulled out the water and it was ready. I had watched the install on YouTube ever night for days. 

The hardest part was getting the old helm out and the cables.  My buddy helping had done it before.  So he stoped my mistakes. There are some really good video on YouTube of an older couple doing am install. 

Sure did we had it pulled out the water and it was ready. I had watched the install on YouTube ever night for days. 

The hardest part was getting the old helm out and the cables.  My buddy helping had done it before.  So he stoped my mistakes. There are some really good video on YouTube of an older couple doing am install. 

I thought you were working alone.   :unsure:

See Cwag, he's trying to help you out

It might help to understand pontoon steering terminology.

Cable and pulley steering - the original outboard motor steering solution. A combination of thin cables and small pulleys that somewhat reduced steering effort (due to the pulley effect). It probably hasn't been installed as OEM for 40 (or more) years.

Cable steering - a single cable housed in a sheath. No reduction in steering effort required,  just a better arrangement than cable and pulley. Still installed today in low horsepower applications (below 50 horse or so).

Hydraulic steering - Presently installed in most pontoons above 50 horsepower as OEM. DOES NOT reduce steering effort; mostly helps the motor stay on center and reduce wandering. The presence of a hydraulic cylinder on the motor mount is evidence of this kind of system. I'd wager a guess that 90% of present day pontoon boats are so equipped with hydraulic steering and the most common product names are Baystar or Seastar. Only the Seastar system can be electrically assisted.

Electric power assist - Available as an option and usually piggybacked with the Seastar hydraulic system. This is the only system so far on this list that actually reduces the input necessary to turn the boat. Hydraulic alone? Nope. Electric over hydraulic? Yes. Do not ASSume that your boat has power steering if it is equipped with hydraulic steering.

Internal power steering - This system is factory installed on high horsepower outboards and most I/O installations. On outboards, the system in completely self-contained and uses no external electric motor. On an I/O installation, the pump is attached to the engine block and turned by a pulley, just like the power steering pump on an automobile (which makes sense because most I/O motors are automobile engine-based).

Corrections or clarifications welcomed. I'm currently on the DL for a week or so due to a lacerated finger and stitches (not boating acquired), so I may have some time to add photos to help further explain the differences in these systems.

I have 2575rl with 5.0 inboard, I have hydraulic steering and a power steering pump on engine. The power steering pump hose goes nowhere, what's the purpose?  

I have 2575rl with 5.0 inboard, I have hydraulic steering and a power steering pump on engine. The power steering pump hose goes nowhere, what's the purpose?  

Photo?

Photo tomorrow, mechanic said the hose from power steering pump was blocked off. I'll get picture. 

Back