Power steering really needed with a Yamaha 150?

dannyleininger

Reaction score
I have a 22SSX w EPP and a Yamaha 150 on order. I need some input for 150hp owners. Do you NEED power steering? It’s about a $1300 option to upgrade my Seastar Hydraulic system. I’ve tested with a 115hp and had no issue with the steering. So 150hp owners please give me your input!

Does one "NEED" it? No. Does having it completely change the driving experience for the better? YES!

You are ordering the twin ellipticals, right? IIRC, you plan to use it to fish and were looking for shallow draft. Doesn't sound like watersports is part of your plans. If it was, I would highly recommend it.

All that said, I do love my SPS/150 with the power steering.

I'm sure it would improve things, especially at the dock and trailer, but I can still throw someone off a tube without it. I do however look around online for a used set up.

While I have no experience operating a pontoon without power steering, I can tell you that driving with it is effortless! As in one finger turns. And given that steering is an integral part of operating a boat, I'd personally place it high on my "options" list with the horsepower you're considering. Welcome and enjoy the ride...

The only time I wish I had it on mine is when pulling the grandkids on tubes. I can do it without, but it's a lot more work!

YES!!! You need it! You could do without but that’s like mud tires on a corvette......just doesn’t make sense.

You guys are too funny, made me laugh several time! Ok ok ok, I get the point. With the total build w ttl at $51k what’s another $1300.

Goldnrod24, I ordered the Express Performance Package (2-2/3rds of a Tritoon). I got to test this setup and was very pleased with the every aspect of the boat.

Last edited:
We would not be without it, whether tubing, cruising or docking it truly enhances the experience. It was tough for us to pay the additional money but so glad we did!

Totally agree with everyone above. Debated briefly with our order last year, but everyone recommended it if getting a 150 or above. With our 200 having it makes steering no big deal for anyone that might end up behind the wheel. Plus, we pretty much do water sports 2/3 of the time when out, so its essential for us with our 200 hp.

Here's my $.02 Having the EPP hulls I don't think it will help as much as if you had SPS or ESP. Your boat will turn flat and not bank. But......................................we can still spend YOUR $$$$$$$$$$$$$

You all are very good at spending my money! BUT, your advice is soooooo valuable. Thanks!

I had regular hydraulic steering with my f200 for a season and it kept leaking under the helm, they added power assist and not only have the leaks stopped, it's about 1000x easier to steer. My two year old sits in my lap and can steer the boat. I also have the sps package and love it. When you turn hard and lift the outer toon out of the water it sure turns heads.

I have a 22SSX w EPP and a Yamaha 150 on order. I need some input for 150hp owners. Do you NEED power steering? It’s about a $1300 option to upgrade my Seastar Hydraulic system. I’ve tested with a 115hp and had no issue with the steering. So 150hp owners please give me your input!

Isn't Power Steering more like a 2
Where are you getting Power Steering for $1300? It is $2799 on the build sheet.

He already ordered the hydraulic steering for $1300

You are correct. I originally thought the $2800 didn’t include the cost of the SeaStar Hydraulic steering, but I was wrong. :-((

Seastar assist is more than enough... save your money.

To correct the verbage, I think I’m talking about SeaStar Assist ($2799) + SeaStar Hydraulic with Tilt ($1463.) Isn’t this the package you are speaking of?

Back