Powering up a 20SLX

Vinent Marino

Reaction score
Brand new to the club and just bought a 2014 20’ SLX
It has a 70HP on it but I’m tubing with the grandkids at the Jersey sure and seem to have three children and four adults on board. If my gauges are accurate I run 5000 rpm just cruising and when I’m towing my son 200lbs + a child it’s pretty good a 6000 rpms.
I still not happy with the speed and want to upgrade to a 115 2 Stroke e etc
On the. Toon it indicated the weight and says 70 hp but doesn’t say anything about max hp. I see all kinds of 20’ pontoons with 70’s 90’s 115’s and higher. So I guess my question is can I upgrade my power?

You need to find out what the max hp is for that boat. You don’t want to go over that or it could create some insurance problems as well as structural issues. Just my $.02.

Depends on the hull.

If it says 70 somewhere, that's probably the max. Factory would have no idea what engine size you put on (so they would only state the max).

Is your hull a twin 23 inch? Not sure if they still made the 23 back in 2014. 25 inch tubes are far more common.

Should be a placard near the steering console that will indicate the max horsepower. But I’d suggest you enjoy what you have unless you are prepared to spend a lot of $$$

Thanks, I have the upgrade money my quotes are at 10k installed. I’m selling the 70 and have a potential buyer at 5k.
I’ll be ok if I can’t do it.
I see a lot of people upgrade the boat but that’s a whole different number I’m not willing to go to.

Randy’s advise above is spot on. Look for the max HP, weight and number of people plate near the throttle area. Whatever that max HP is, I’d stick with only going up to that. Different years, models, transoms, and pontoon hulls impact the maximum rated HP for structural reasons. Warranty and insurance then use that as liability factors negating both when over due to safety, etc...

Randy’s advise above is spot on. Look for the max HP, weight and number of people plate near the throttle area. Whatever that max HP is, I’d stick with only going up to that. Different years, models, transoms, and pontoon hulls impact the maximum rated HP for structural reasons. Warranty and insurance then use that as liability factors negating both when over due to safety, etc...
Ok, got thanks

Back