Pre-Purchase Inspection/Checkout Items

kaydano

Reaction score
Hopefully we'll be bringing the new boat home in a few days! Before we come home with the boat, I want to make sure everything checks out. Let me know if I missed something:

1) Verify all options ordered are included.

2) Check entire boat, trailer, and motor for obvious/visible defects.

3) Inside the boat: Open/close all storage areas and gates, check seat adjust, tilt steering, electrical circuits and switches, bow lights, mast light, stereo/speakers, raise/lower Bimini and verify LEDs work, horn...

4) Trailer: Verify turn signals and brake lights work. Verify surge brakes work (how do you do this???).

5) Test Drive: Verify power trim/tilt works, check steering (full left, full right, smooth operation), depth graph, check top speed

I'm SURE there are things I'm missing...

Also, if anyone knows how to check whether the surge brakes are working right, let me know.

THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back it up a steep incline(gravel probably works best) and get someone to stand outside and see if the wheels lockup, then put the backup 'plug' in and they shouldn't lock up. Only way I've ever known.

Oh and make sure you have the correct hitch ball size, went one time with the father in law to pick up his enclosed trailer and it had like a 2 5/8 or something odd!

Last edited by a moderator:
Run your hands up and down all the railing and also check the tubes for welding slag. I found this on both my boats and had the dealer take care of them on the last one as I cut my hand on my first one a couple of times. the slag casn be razor sharp and wet skin is easy prey for them. Also have the dealer go over it with a good shop vacuum and suck up as much drill filings as possible, this I thin k should be done at the factory but o both boats I bet I sucked up about a pound of aluminum shavings from all over the boat and in every compartment.

Hey "kaydano" - sounds like you might be getting excited :)

Sounds like you have a "plan" for checking things out - just take your time and be thorough. Like "wild and free" stated above, check carefully for sharp edges/points on all the metal parts you can; even after a year, I still find little drill filings in the carpet (although in total they would amount to maybe half an ounce B)

You are really buying three items, a boat, a motor, and a trailer. Everything has been fine with my Bennington and Yamaha motor, plus you have at least 5 year and 3 year warranties on the boat and motor. My trailer came with a 1 year warranty so I suggest spending enough time checking it out completely (nuts/bolts tight on bunks and guides, wiring system securely attached to frame, bunk carpet/glides complete and secure.) Finally, make sure you have tie down straps and ways to secure your trailer. I have a lock for the tongue lever and a lock on my spare tire (which I don't want disappearing from the ramp parking lot when I am out on the water!)

Anyway, congratulations on getting your new toy soon :D Its almost time to start figuring out where to get the money for all the toys and boat gizmos your are going to want and need :p

I am getting VERY excited! Actually, excited is not even the right word for it.

The main reason for making the list is my dealer is over 2 hours away (one way). Last thing I want is to have to return to the dealer because I was too stupid to notice something wrong before I headed home. If the dealer was in town, I wouldn't worry about it much.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses. I've added ALL your comments to my list.

Metal burrs and shavings??? I NEVER would have thought of that one. Last thing we want is the kids getting cut on something. Excellent point.

Hey Kaydano, What kind of tow vehicle will you have? Some thoughts, Make sure boat is strapped down front and back, Trailer tires inflated to proper psi, when you get on the road if you have any sway turn around and make them set up trailer properly.

Make sure you know how to do the simple things before you leave, things you will/might need to do on the first day on the water, like operate the radio, access the battery area, remove the engine cover, put the bimini top up & down. I also numbered the playpen cover poles with a marker once the cover was set properly, so when I went to put the cover on for the 1st time i knew which pole went into which pole holder. Test the boat in the water for at least 20 mins, and end with some slow docking test. My boat was fine but my brothers boat had a tiny bit of water in the fuel. I picked the boat up for him...we were about to call the final test ride a success after 20 mins, then upon docking it stalled several times at low idle. At speed it seemed ok. We found water in the filter.

Tow vehicle is a GMC Envoy Denali. Not the biggest vehicle for towing, but it does have air suspension in the rear and the V8. I went through all the calcs on the various weight ratings, and it should be okay. Bringing it home will be the biggest towing trip it will see for a long time, since it will be parked at the marina.

Thanks for all the comments. Strap safety is etched in my brain from one of the other topics on this forum.

Yeah with that Envoy it will kind of be like the tail wagging the dog but it should be okay as long as you don't have to go through any mountains, Just be safe.

Or maybe this could be your chance to get the wife to let you buy that new pick up B)

i would also put the cover on and then take off just to make sure all the buttons and snaps line up correctly. as someone else mentioned to check the trim up/down on motor but make sure to check both trim buttons (one on throttle and one on side of motor) The only 2 things i had wrong on mine which i noticed after delivery was one of the buttons was not in the correct spot for the pop up changing fabric and the headrest to one of the rear loungers had the bolts in the holes but no nuts holding it in place so you can just lift it out. Both of these things by the way are easy fixes and the dealership has said whenever i bring it in they will fix them no problem. pretty simple stuff but the dealership is also 2 miles from my marina. 2 hours would be rough :)

Happy Boating and welcome to the club!

Back