Preparing For Delivery And Slip - Need Assistance

Devin

Reaction score
Hello All,

I want to be prepared for day one at our slip...I am have never had one before. Attached is a photo of where our boat will be docked. The red square is where I will be located. Wind can be an issue if it is coming out of the north. I am looking for suggestions on how to properly secure it to the dock based on only having 2 sides to tie off too. I have read a bunch on this with spring lines but still want insight from you folks. I don't know where the cleats are located on a 2018 SX23 so any help you can supply on what to bring with on day one to the dock would be GREATLY appreciated. I love diagrams, links to products, and photos! :) I need rope, clips, fenders...basically starting from scratch.

Attachments

• cropped-5c39775a331290830bab6924e9924658.jpg
    cropped-5c39775a331290830bab6924e9924658.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 92
I just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum. Hopefully people still see it. :)

It’s all good, most active members hit every topic at some point!

Since you'll be in a double slip (looks like it, anyway) be sure to use fenders on the side between you and your neighbor's boat. Don't trust them to be a good captain! And with that, I'd go with no less than the 8" diameter fenders, and a minimum of 3 on that side. 8" fenders are huge, which is why I use that size with my toon.
You don't want to show up and see where some clown has put you some custom pin stripes or nice dents in the side.

Last edited:
Along with the fenders, “ez fenders” make it so much easier to attach and adjust them on the boat.

We are in a slip similar to yours and have done a few things to avoid damage. The dock is about 3 feet shorter than the pontoon so I have an extra line on the front that clips to the front of the toon with a big snap clip. We had a guy next to us that was always pretty ripped when he came in and kept hitting our ladder so I made a big bumper out of 3 throwable cusions that wraps around the rear corner. Spring lines are great if you have the space on the other side of you. Our marina has 20 foot wide openings for 2 pontoons to share so it's a really tight squeeze. Someone is always ready with the dock pole just in case.

We put one of these in front of each toon to keep the time of the cone from hitting the dock.

upload_2018-4-23_14-25-47.jpeg
We also have these on each of the dock posts.
upload_2018-4-23_14-26-45.jpeg

That means I should plan for 3 EZ Fenders on each side, 6 total. I see a bunch of 8.5" fenders on Amazon. How are these? It looks like they were only $40 in February but so goes life.

I will see what the slip has in place for pole and corner protectors, I assume none. Those look slick.

That means I should plan for 3 EZ Fenders on each side, 6 total. I see a bunch of 8.5" fenders on Amazon. How are these? It looks like they were only $40 in February but so goes life.

I will see what the slip has in place for pole and corner protectors, I assume none. Those look slick.

Those hanging bumpers are good to use between the boats or when tied up with other boats. The don't work well against the dock in some situations such as where we have our boat at. The water level get's quite high and those will work up and onto the dock where you then have no protection.

Those hanging bumpers are good to use between the boats or when tied up with other boats. The don't work well against the dock in some situations such as where we have our boat at. The water level get's quite high and those will work up and onto the dock where you then have no protection.

Interesting. What do you use instead?

Interesting. What do you use instead?

We rely on the over the dock post bumpers for the dock side of the boat and use the hanging type on the other side where another pontoon is next to us.

Back