Pro trailer backup assist

clrd

Reaction score
Thought some of you might like this. Instead of steering your truck to get your boat in the water, you can now steer your trailer and the truck will turn as it needs to..

I have seen many at the ramps where this might of helped.

Nick

I thought of you when I seen this, did you get the 2015 or 2016. looks like it could be a useful option..

Some may knock this but I think it's fantastic

Mine is a 2015 so I don't have it. I think it sounds great if you're new to backing a trailer or otherwise don't like doing it. Personally, I think I'd still just use the wheel because it has become second nature. Between getting it into my backyard on a narrow street and all the off-roading I've done with it camping on the way to the lake, I'm feeling like I've got my backing skills maxed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chris! Merry Christmas to you and Darcy!

Old school.......Just put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and whichever way you want the trailer to go turn in that direction! Simple!

Thanks Daril, Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to you and Diane. And to the rest of the Benny family also.

I also have no issues backing, I also think I am pretty proficient at it. But I still think it is a good option for the ones who struggle.

Since my boat stays in the water all season the only time I drive it on the trailer is to bring it from indoor storage to my camp which is only 1 mile and then to return it in the fall.  We have our own ramp so I am not under any pressure.  With such little expierience if I ever had to back it up I would certainly appreciate the assist

I'm old fashioned and have the "practice makes perfect" mindset. Being able to properly back up a trailer (without computer assistance) used to be a badge of honor. I'm sure there will still be plenty of weekend warriors botching up their launches still! I guess this technology is similar to the parallel parking features ford introduced a while back. I'm starting to worry about Ford drivers if they need all this assistance on the roads.... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm old fashioned and have the "practice makes perfect" mindset. Being able to properly back up a trailer (without computer assistance) used to be a badge of honor. I'm sure there will be still be plenty of weekend warriors botching up their launches still! I guess this technology is similar to the parallel parking features ford introduced a while back. I'm starting to worry about Ford drivers if they need all this assistance on the roads.... :p
Hey now Andy, I switched all my vehicles from GM to Ford. I was loyal to GM for twenty plus years, but now in my opinion ford currently does a all around better job. But that is just me.

But really I think for the most part auto makers build nice vehicles. :)

I also have no issues backing, I also think I am pretty proficient at it. But I still think it is a good option for the ones who struggle.
That's me. I can back a trailer about as fast and accurate as I can pull one forward. Would have been great for my dad. He used to have to get out and let me back our camper when I was 11 and 12 years old. He never got a hold of the concept.

A story from Drivers Ed in high school..

The instructor told me to drive (slalom style) through this series of pylons.

Easy of course.

Upon reaching the end, he said "now back up through them".

I looked at him with a smart ass grin and said "Hook up a trailer first"

His reply..."I hate you farm kids!"

I grew up on land with a big kubota and trailers so I learned at a young age.

I finally tried this on my 2016 F-150 and I'm sold.   No more sore neck (I'm old) trying to see.   I've been backing trailers my whole life and this fantastic.  We have a really long ramp that can get crowded and the computer keeps that trailer dead on straight.   I trailer my boat to a storage unit near the ramp and backing into that narrow garage  is now a piece of cake.   I was too stubborn and proud, but not anymore!

Its an interesting technology...
My son really wanted it when he bought a 23' RV trailer but, although he'd never towed anything before, he turned out to be a natural at it. Now he's glad he didn't spend the money.

After 11 years of towing our 30' Airstream trailer, I've gotten comfortable with backing up using the two side mirrors... no turning around (well, maybe occasionally), and the extended side mirrors help me see around the trailer.

This brings up an interesting point. A central rear camera isn't going to show where the back corners of the trailer are. Are there additional cameras that give a more panoramic view? Even so, what could those camera views offer that two good towing mirrors could not? Towing mirrors don't get obscured by dirt, haze, water...

If its dark when I'm backing up, I need to use the side mirrors because the tail lights illuminate the ground, showing me where the back corners of the trailer are. I don't think this camera system could do that... the tailgate camera on my 2012 F150 doesn't do very well in the dark.

I could go on, but I'll finish with this. Many (many, many) years ago, I got my Third Mate's License for any tonnage on any ocean. While satellite navigation was in its infancy, our instructors urged us to maintain our sextant/stellar-navigation skills because sextants never blow a fuse!

Just my two bits...

Well,... wether your backin with the knob or the wheel you still gots to know what the hells behind you. ;)

Some of the best entertainment is sitting down at the boat ramp and just watching.

I may not be the best boat captain but one things for sure..... I can back up!! For miles if need be! I’ve towed trailers since I was 16 and was lucky enough to have a great teacher along the way.

my new f150 lariat has it. works extremely well especially if you want to back straight up for a long distance. you don't have to touch anything, just back up. it will hold the boat perfectly straight

Its an interesting technology...
My son really wanted it when he bought a 23' RV trailer but, although he'd never towed anything before, he turned out to be a natural at it. Now he's glad he didn't spend the money.

After 11 years of towing our 30' Airstream trailer, I've gotten comfortable with backing up using the two side mirrors... no turning around (well, maybe occasionally), and the extended side mirrors help me see around the trailer.

This brings up an interesting point. A central rear camera isn't going to show where the back corners of the trailer are. Are there additional cameras that give a more panoramic view? Even so, what could those camera views offer that two good towing mirrors could not? Towing mirrors don't get obscured by dirt, haze, water...

If its dark when I'm backing up, I need to use the side mirrors because the tail lights illuminate the ground, showing me where the back corners of the trailer are. I don't think this camera system could do that... the tailgate camera on my 2012 F150 doesn't do very well in the dark.

I could go on, but I'll finish with this. Many (many, many) years ago, I got my Third Mate's License for any tonnage on any ocean. While satellite navigation was in its infancy, our instructors urged us to maintain our sextant/stellar-navigation skills because sextants never blow a fuse!

Just my two bits...

the back up camera is not used in any of those situations. the backup camera is used to back up and line up to the trailer. that's it. what you want is a camera on the back of the trailer to see behind the boat. the backup camera can be used to see how far the empty trailer is in the water though. works pretty well

972968D1-37E0-46D5-92CE-594746D03EB1_zpspxmdgm2i.jpg

5383BA38-3BD8-4D12-A6CA-D581FBE379D1_zpsoiy4x7im.jpg

here is the solution for seeing behind the boat in the dark

071A5B55-C152-4216-BBF3-63900DA195F4_zpshomsqb7o.jpg

IMG_3265_zpsdbfe9d18.jpg

Back