Problem with USB port on 2018 Sfx

Jshelm

Reaction score
The USB port has never worked when attempting to charge my iPhone or another device. Dealer wanted me bring boat in, too much ordeal for this 72 year young grandmother. I’ve had my tech savvy grandson look at it, appears to be okay with wiring. I got under console & removed the USB port & wiring & tested on land power to see if port was defective. It’s okay & powered my phone. The other lights, gauges, etc are working. What next????

Mine didn’t seem to work on my first Benny. I bought something like this to get an added benefit of always knowing my current voltage while having a USB port for charging gadgets. Just plug it into the helm accessory socket.

C533F806-8063-4922-853D-8E74362A738A.png

The USB port has never worked when attempting to charge my iPhone or another device. Dealer wanted me bring boat in, too much ordeal for this 72 year young grandmother. I’ve had my tech savvy grandson look at it, appears to be okay with wiring. I got under console & removed the USB port & wiring & tested on land power to see if port was defective. It’s okay & powered my phone. The other lights, gauges, etc are working. What next????
Mine doesn’t work either. Same year.

Myv10, since my depth finder and stereo are tied into the accessory switch, the switch is the first on and the last to cut off.

The usb port on most boats is from the radio which usually doesn’t have the current to charge. From what I understand is that it’s for direct playback from your device. It isn’t intended as charging port unless radio is in off position.

I have a brand new 2021 188SFV and the USB port will not charge my phone. I have tried flipping on the 3 different accessory switches, and tried 2 different phone cords. Will it charge a phone or not?

Some of the USB ports are for the radio ,not sure which one ( ones ) on that model

Mine does not charge a phone. I believe it’s for data (music) transfer only.

On the lower model lines, with only one USB port, they do not charge a phone. I believe the newer models, and higher up model lines, do have options for USB charging ports…multiple ones.

On the pre-2020 or 2021 Bennington’s, and lower S and maybe G model lines, the sole USB port is tied into radio for direct playback. As mentioned above, they don’t have the current to charge a phone.

I remember being a little surprised by that when we got ours in 2017.

Try looking at the spec sheet for that HU and check the USB port, most are input only but there are some that can charge. The spec sheet will state input/output or both.

On the lower model lines, with only one USB port, they do not charge a phone. I believe the newer models, and higher up model lines, do have options for USB charging ports…multiple ones.

On the pre-2020 or 2021 Bennington’s, and lower S and maybe G model lines, the sole USB port is tied into radio for direct playback. As mentioned above, they don’t have the current to charge a phone.

I remember being a little surprised by that when we got ours in 2017.
I have a 2020 SFV and it charges our phones, have to turn on the accessories switch

I have a 2020 SFV and it charges our phones, have to turn on the accessories switch
Nice! I wonder if that was updated with the 2020 models?

Nice! I wonder if that was updated with the 2020 models?
I don’t know, but i do know that it didn’t work for us at first with a cheap charger cord. I had to buy an actual Apple charger off Amazon and then it worked

I have a 20 model G Series and the factory USB port is for data input to the radio, I installed scanstrut USB ports throughout and a scanstrut wireless charging pocket. Their products seem to be well made and Worthy cutting holes in the dash and around speaker placements.

Mine didn’t seem to work on my first Benny. I bought something like this to get an added benefit of always knowing my current voltage while having a USB port for charging gadgets. Just plug it into the helm accessory socket.

View attachment 25454
I bought one of these for one of our vehicles that no longer had a functioning voltage gauge. Way cheaper than repair/replacement.

I was told that this was not for charging, connectivity

The USB port on mine is for audio input only. If yours says USB input then it probably does not have charge capability. Not all of them charge.

The USB port on mine is for audio input only. If yours says USB input then it probably does not have charge capability. Not all of them charge.
Does anyone know where to get a replacement usb input without going through a dealer?

Back