Problems at home.

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
6B7A805B-762D-4228-8C54-BE4C7F576F02.jpeg We’ve been experiencing trouble with our home reservoir. In one large area of the reservoir called Pelahatchie bay, we had a rash of giant salvinia starting to take over. If you don’t know what this is, you’re probably better off since it most likely wouldn’t have invaded your waterways. It’s a super fast growing plant, much like cudzo on land. It gets transplanted by clinging to boats, birds, logs, etc. about the only way they know to get rid of it is to drop the level of the water, and hope for a freeze that last several days. That, and burning it. They have it about 90% contained now, and still have Pelahatchie Bay closed off to all forms of boating. Our neighborhood boat ramp is closed off until they feel that they have eliminated the threat. We have to take our boat to a larger boat ramp to launch and retrieve the Benny.

https://www.wapt.com/article/one-of-worlds-worst-weeds-growing-in-reservoir/26134825

Last edited:
Interesting video. It can double its population every two days.

Yikes! That's some nasty stuff...

That sucks. I hate that people don't clean their boats, trailers when jumping from lake to lake. We refer to those folks as "lake lice"

Wow! Good luck controlling that stuff! Back in the day in DC.... Hydrilla was a problem in the Potomac River. Then scientists found that it was actually cleaning the water and provided cover for fish that started to flourish once again. So they kept a close eye to make sure it didn't get out of control so it could benefit the river ....

Ha ha. When I saw the title “problems at home” I thought that maybe you went and bought a new boat without telling your wife. :D

Ha ha. When I saw the title “problems at home” I thought that maybe you went and bought a new boat without telling your wife. :D

I even thought that after I posted it. :D :)

Back