Problems with Yamaha F150 with 32 hours

ml504

Reaction score
We just purchased a 2013 22sslx with the f150xa Yamaha 4 stroke. The setup only has 32 hours but has been serviced annually. I just replaced fuel filter, water seperator, oil, and lower unit oil. We also drain the fuel tank and used fresh fuel (only 6 gallons were drained). We took it out today and idled about 20 minutes before opening up the throttle to around 3500 rpm. It ran about 30 seconds to a minute before cutting out and would only idle. After a few more minutes idling it just died. Started right back up and my wife was able to idle for a couple more minutes but only with me on the back pumping the primer bulb to keep sending fuel. After a couple more minutes that would not work anymore and now it wouldn’t start back up. Let it sit about 10 minutes and it started back up and only idled for a minute before dying. Any ideas what is going on?
Thanks,
Matt

maybe try running with fuel cap loose. Sounds like fuel starvation? Was it extremely hot out? Possible vapor lock? Our boat has an issue once in a while, that it acts like that, but we only have a 20hp carbureted engine on ours. From 20 hours to 200 hours, it picks and chooses when it wants to act up, but really only when it’s really hot out.

Pull your pickup unit out and see if there’s anything obstructing the gas flow. Very easy by removing 5 screws (I believe it’s 5). Don’t confuse It with the fuel sending unit, pink wire on top vs. fuel line in top. You don’t know how well the previous customer actually took care of it although it sounds like they did. Something could have been introduced into fuel take by careless or accident. See if you can follow your vent tube back and see if it’s crimped. Make sure the fuel line is still very pliable, with no cracks or holes that might cause it to suck air.

We just purchased a 2013 22sslx with the f150xa Yamaha 4 stroke. The setup only has 32 hours but has been serviced annually. I just replaced fuel filter, water seperator, oil, and lower unit oil. We also drain the fuel tank and used fresh fuel (only 6 gallons were drained). We took it out today and idled about 20 minutes before opening up the throttle to around 3500 rpm. It ran about 30 seconds to a minute before cutting out and would only idle. After a few more minutes idling it just died. Started right back up and my wife was able to idle for a couple more minutes but only with me on the back pumping the primer bulb to keep sending fuel. After a couple more minutes that would not work anymore and now it wouldn’t start back up. Let it sit about 10 minutes and it started back up and only idled for a minute before dying. Any ideas what is going on?
Thanks,
Matt
you may need a new fuel line, the line will degrade on the inside and collapse.

Would there be an issue with fuel line from 2013? It seems being that new it could handle ethanol fuel if prior owner had used it but I’m not sure. The vent line was clear and the fuel filter stays at least half full of gas when the engine dies so I’m thinking it is something with the engine itself rather than before the fuel filter/fuel tank.

Yamaha's are supposed to be built to handle up to 10% ethanol per my 2014 manual.

Found the issue, the filter in the vst tank filter was completely clogged. The boat has sat most of its life and the fuel just broke down I suppose. Anyway, I cleaned up the tank and put a new filter in it and all is well....took boat out today and ran great.

Back