Prop conundrum - 22SSRX Yamaha 150

With mine mounted one hole up I will cavitate when trimmed up And going into a hard turn, so if I know I’m going into a hard turn I trim down before the turn. If you go two holes up you may get slightly more top end speed but you may cavitate in a hard turn even with it trimmed down.

With mine mounted one hole up I will cavitate when trimmed up And going into a hard turn, so if I know I’m going into a hard turn I trim down before the turn. If you go two holes up you may get slightly more top end speed but you may cavitate in a hard turn even with it trimmed down.
Sounds like 1 hole up and proper prop is the right medicine!!! Thanks to all for your results. Probably slightly better fuel economy if propelling boat more efficiently and ability to trim

Sounds like 1 hole up and proper prop is the right medicine!!! Thanks to all for your results. Probably slightly better fuel economy if propelling boat more efficiently and ability to trim
At my last fill up I had 139.3 hours and have averaged 3.5 gallons per hour over the life of the motor. My normal cruise speed is about 25 mph at 4200 rpm when I’m not idling. But I do occasionally have the need for speed and open her up.

At my last fill up I had 139.3 hours and have averaged 3.5 gallons per hour over the life of the motor. My normal cruise speed is about 25 mph at 4200 rpm when I’m not idling. But I do occasionally have the need for speed and open her up.
Do you play "Top Gun" soundtrack turned up on the audio system while screaming across the lake? I know the feeling!!! :cool: Buzz the tower like Maverick?

I ordered the Yamaha SDS 14.5 x 15p 3 blade SS for $562.46 from Sim Yamaha and free shipping. Best price I could find. Latest model 68F-45970-20-00 Not cheap but anything worth having is usually expensive. My Benny has a fish finder on starboard side of helm and I added a Faria depth gauge on port side of helm just above Kicker audio head unit mounted in dash. Perfect spot and that way I have 2 devices reading depth just in case 1 of them starts reading erroneously so I can keep that expensive prop out of harms way with rocky shallow areas.

Last edited:
Never thought of a jack and block from bottom! Great idea! If I were to try 2 hole change (as I am at top lowest hole) what issues show that engine is too high? Maybe cavitates easily (engine revs with slippage) in turns even when trimmed down? My 2017 22 SSRCX SPS Yamaha F150XB currently in lowest setting doesn't respond when trimming up. Hardly any GPS speed change while changing trim. Currently have unmarked aluminum prop and thinking from all of you to order up the Reliance SDS 14.5x15p and change hole by 1 or 2

Cavitation is a huge sign. You can also use the visual below to help find the best hole height mount of the motor.

08995879-405E-4909-8295-35199306019E.jpeg

Cavitation is a huge sign. You can also use the visual below to help find the best hole height mount of the motor.

View attachment 27229
Great visual!!! That is excellent addition to this thread. So even if it runs efficient straight line, hard corner carving could suffer if raising too high. I assume my inability to get trim adjustments to affect speed shows I am at least 1 hole too low.

My new Yamaha Reliance SDS SS 3 blade 14.5" x 15p prop came today! Can't wait to try it on my Yamaha F150 as recommended. Surprised at its hefty weight. I will update my speed/RPM specs when I get it on the water.

Last edited:
Finally got new prop on! The old prop was an aluminum 15.25 x 15p and WOT was 5400 at 34 mph. New prop is latest Yamaha Reliance SDS Stainless Steel 14.5 x 15p (as recommended by several here) and now turns 5900 rpm at 38 GPS MPH in choppy water with bimini up and 2 people 3/4 tank. I bet with no breeze, glassy water, and bimini stored maybe 40 mph. (?) Thanks all! Lots of proven knowledge in these forums. :cool: Engine still in lowest #1 hole.

Last edited:
Back