Prop conundrum - 22SSRX Yamaha 150

Folsom Dan

Reaction score
Purchased my boat last year - 22 SSRX Tritoon with SPS, Yamaha F150XB

Ran a Reliance 15x15 (4 blade) all last summer and was only reaching low 5000rpms at WOT - hitting low-to-mid- 30mph range.. Took it in for my 20hr service and they put a 14.5x14 (3 blade) on it. First time it started to run it to WOT and it flew past 6000rpms - but i didn't push it to the rev limiter - was in the high 30mph range moderately loaded with both biminis up.

We are now thinking about going to a 14.5x15 (3 blade) to find the sweet spot.

Everything I'm seeing here is folks are running 15x15 props (not sure number of blades) - and I'm surprised I was seeing the numbers I was seeing.

Whose boats have done better with something smaller than the 15x15?

Last edited:
Purchased my boat last year - Tritoon with SPS.

Ran a Reliance 15x15 (4 blade) all last summer and was only reaching low 5000rpms at WOT - hitting low-to-mid- 30mph range.. Took it in for my 20hr service and they put a 14.5x14 (3 blade) on it. First time it started to run it to WOT and it flew past 6000rpms - but i didn't push it to the rev limiter - was in the high 30mph range moderately loaded with both biminis up.

We are now thinking about going to a 14.5x15 (3 blade) to find the sweet spot.

Everything I'm seeing here is folks are running 15x15 props (not sure number of blades) - and I'm surprised I was seeing the numbers I was seeing.

Whose boats have done better with something smaller than the 15x15?

With a 3 blade, each +1 pitch should equate to about a -200 RPM at WOT. Is 6000 RPM the top end rating for the motor at WOT? If so, and you were shooting past it, I’d think you would want to try a 16 or 17p. At the same time, if you do that, it seems pretty high up on pitch on for a 150....Hmmm?

There are lots of people with that motor, and likely boat size/layout. Hopefully they will chime in with what they specifically have, and what it’s giving them. Congratulations on the boat and good luck!

My understanding is the rev limiter for that motor starts to shut down injectors at 6200rpm. Normal operating range should be 5600-6000rpms at WOT.

The 15x15 might have been too big because it was a 4 blade (stainless). I’m going to try the 14.5x15 3 blade and see what I get.

I think you'll find the new one to be perfect. I have the reliance prop (3 blade stainless) in the same size you mention on my f200 and it runs great.

Same as my boat... by myself I get 38-40mph @ around 6k rpm (one bimini) -- see signature for prop info.

I have the same boat as you and am running the 14.5x15 3 blade reliance and I got 39 gps mph at about 5800-5900 rpms two people, double biminis in radar position but not deployed. Calm water condition and half tank of gas. It works great.

So I ran the boat with the 14.5x14 Reliance pretty good yesterday - here are the numbers.

I had 7 adults, around 125 pounds of gear (coolers, etc), full tank of gas, both biminis up, light wind and moderate chop on the lake. I was able to get 38mph at 6150rpm at WOT properly trimmed. I hit the Rev Limiter at 6200rpm for a moment.

Yes - I am underpropped. The 14.5x15 should be perfect - I'll post results once I put the new prop on next week.

So I ran the boat with the 14.5x14 Reliance pretty good yesterday - here are the numbers.

I had 7 adults, around 125 pounds of gear (coolers, etc), full tank of gas, both biminis up, light wind and moderate chop on the lake. I was able to get 38mph at 6150rpm at WOT properly trimmed. I hit the Rev Limiter at 6200rpm for a moment.

Yes - I am underpropped. The 14.5x15 should be perfect - I'll post results once I put the new prop on next week.
Folsom Dan,
I was thinking about trying a 14.5x14 reliance prop on my boat. Would you be interested in selling yours if you do swap it out?

My dealer is going to swap props for me. Bough the boat new - and they're trying different props to try to get it dialed in. So - they're taking the 14.5x14 back when they install the new prop. It finally came in from Yamaha - so I hope to get it swapped later this week.
Thanks-
D

My dealer is going to swap props for me. Bough the boat new - and they're trying different props to try to get it dialed in. So - they're taking the 14.5x14 back when they install the new prop. It finally came in from Yamaha - so I hope to get it swapped later this week.
Thanks-
D
Good for you to have a dealer that is working with you like that. I too bought mine new, but was never offered assistance with making sure I ended up with the right prop. Thanks

Good for you to have a dealer that is working with you like that. I too bought mine new, but was never offered assistance with making sure I ended up with the right prop. Thanks

My dealer “reluctantly” worked with me, but certainly didn’t offer up the assistance initially. I pretty much just gave them performance numbers (RPM’s, speed, trim) and said based on that it is not very dialed in for what I bought.

Then I requested they allow me to dial it in by trying a few different “loaner” prop options to see which one worked best. They wanted to contend it was dialed in, but they did reluctantly agree to work with me on trying props under the understanding if there was any scuff or ding I’d be buying the loaner prop(s). Once dialed in I had a little bit of satisfaction politely giving them an “I told them so” on performance when I shared my updated performance numbers. ;)

Maybe yours will work with you if you show them numbers on how it is not dialed in and underperforming, and request of them to make it right by allowing you to borrow loaner props to get it right. Worst they can say is no...

Thanks-
D
Did you ever test the new 14.5 x 15p Reliance SDS prop? Thanks! I have a 2017 22 SSRCX SPS Yamaha 150 and get 34 mph at 5400 rpm WOT on an aluminum prop with no external markings so no idea of its specs yet. I'm on lowest mounting hole for engine

Did you ever test the new 14.5 x 15p Reliance SDS prop? Thanks! I have a 2017 22 SSRCX SPS Yamaha 150 and get 34 mph at 5400 rpm WOT on an aluminum prop with no external markings so no idea of its specs yet. I'm on lowest mounting hole for engine

Yes - the 14.5x15 runs the boat right around 6000rpm at WOT at at around 38-40mph depending on load. It's a stainless 3-blade prop.

Yes - the 14.5x15 runs the boat right around 6000rpm at WOT at at around 38-40mph depending on load. It's a stainless 3-blade prop.
Did you stay with the Yamaha Reliance SDS 14.5x 15p stainless 3 blade or is it a different brand? What hole is your Yamaha 150 XB mounted in? My boat is a 2017 22 SSRCX SPS Yamaha F150 XB engine in lowest position top hole. Our boats should be identical except for second captains chair in yours as I have longer seat bench. I bet I can just order that exact prop and get similar results. Does your hole shot still seems fine for pulling a wakeboarder up? Thanks!!!

Did you stay with the Yamaha Reliance SDS 14.5x 15p stainless 3 blade or is it a different brand? What hole is your Yamaha 150 XB mounted in? My boat is a 2017 22 SSRCX SPS Yamaha F150 XB engine in lowest position top hole. Our boats should be identical except for second captains chair in yours as I have longer seat bench. I bet I can just order that exact prop and get similar results. Does your hole shot still seems fine for pulling a wakeboarder up? Thanks!!!
I’ve got the same prop/motor and. 2019 22SSRXP. My motor is mounted one hole up and I’m getting same performance as @Folsom Dan

Attachments

• CF0A6F06-EAC6-414B-859E-9892B77FD534.jpeg
    CF0A6F06-EAC6-414B-859E-9892B77FD534.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 30
  • C95E6807-6DF6-4652-99A2-67EB734F5462.jpeg
    C95E6807-6DF6-4652-99A2-67EB734F5462.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 34
  • E30AB8DA-F4D0-4373-8B07-FCFF5E4E0FEE.jpeg
    E30AB8DA-F4D0-4373-8B07-FCFF5E4E0FEE.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 35
I’ve got the same prop/motor and. 2019 22SSRXP. My motor is mounted one hole up and I’m getting same performance as @Folsom Dan
Thanks! I wonder how hard it is to raise motor? I imagine a chain hoist on a beam to support weight and just loosen lower bolts and remove upper bolts and reinstall. Is there a hook pick point on engine or does something need to be bolted on to lift? Only like 500 lbs to support?

Thanks! I wonder how hard it is to raise motor? I imagine a chain hoist on a beam to support weight and just loosen lower bolts and remove upper bolts and reinstall. Is there a hook pick point on engine or does something need to be bolted on to lift? Only like 500 lbs to support?
I’ve never done it myself but I believe there is a place to connect an eye bolt under the engine cowling for hoisting.

I did it by myself in my driveway. Put my floor jack and a block of wood under the skeg. Loosened the slotted bolts and removed the others. Then just slowly raised and reinstalled and tightened. Make sure your trailer tongue is as low as it can go to help with the angle of the transom.

my motor is in the same spot - same prop. I have no problem pulling a wakeboarder out of the water.

Attachments

• DE3C31FF-6F6C-499B-9A50-8A43895B637B.jpeg
    DE3C31FF-6F6C-499B-9A50-8A43895B637B.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 18
  • F9DD1AE0-D0F4-4286-9EFE-D0693A2E7EA3.jpeg
    F9DD1AE0-D0F4-4286-9EFE-D0693A2E7EA3.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 94B99823-D306-4FDA-8F74-F1B2BF17CACD.jpeg
    94B99823-D306-4FDA-8F74-F1B2BF17CACD.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 21
I did it by myself in my driveway. Put my floor jack and a block of wood under the skeg. Loosened the slotted bolts and removed the others. Then just slowly raised and reinstalled and tightened. Make sure your trailer tongue is as low as it can go to help with the angle of the transom.
Never thought of a jack and block from bottom! Great idea! If I were to try 2 hole change (as I am at top lowest hole) what issues show that engine is too high? Maybe cavitates easily (engine revs with slippage) in turns even when trimmed down? My 2017 22 SSRCX SPS Yamaha F150XB currently in lowest setting doesn't respond when trimming up. Hardly any GPS speed change while changing trim. Currently have unmarked aluminum prop and thinking from all of you to order up the Reliance SDS 14.5x15p and change hole by 1 or 2

Last edited:
Back