Prop for new 4-stroke Mercury

Baja 252

Reaction score
Expecting our new boat any day, just wondering what prop people are using on the new Mercury 4-strokes. Ours is a 200hp V6.

We have a 200hp v6 Mercury Verado - older version, 2017 motor. We use a Mercury enertia prop. It works very well for our motor & Bennington. We are using a 16p, but have often been curious what a 17p might do on it.

You could also play around a bit and see what suggestions you get via the interactive online Mercury Prop Selector:

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/propellers/selector/#!/step-one

The dealer says Bennington and Mercury do tests to find the right prop. That sounds like a sales line, but we'll see how it goes. When I used the Mercury Prop selector it has 6 that are possibility's, the Enertia is on of them. Thanks for the input.

Don’t accept the dealer’s word on that one. Too much variety on boat weights, layouts, and owners intended uses to be precise. I know my original prop was too small a pitch, and my boat was under-performing. Search these forums for props, prop selection, etc... Lots of good posts and information not his topic.

Being in the propeller business, i would recommend Enertia 17 pitch.

Thanks for the advice. I see the Enertia Eco, is that something I should look at?

Yes, that's a good prop.

Thanks for the advice. I see the Enertia Eco, is that something I should look at?

Skim through the forum thread below. One of the forum members has been sharing details about their prop test results. In one of their posts they talk about the enertia eco. They were not impressed. At least in their testing, they were not seeing any real fuel efficiency savings, and they also saw a slight loss of speed on top end. However, each boat is a bit different, so it might work really well with your setup. I’d still lean 16-17p normal enertia.

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/th...p-mounting-height-jackplate.9281/#post-122569

I posted this in another thread, but I thought I'd post it here on the prop thread. Dealer said 14P is the correct prop for the new 200hp V6's ! I about fell over, that can't be right, it has to be too low? I thought with all the torque I keep hearing the new Mercury V6's make it would spin a bigger prop. Dealer says Bennington and Mercury tested the 200 V6 and 14P is right. They will switch it out if it's not right, so what the heck I'll try it. I expected great acceleration, low top speed and holding it back as not to over rev it. I coundn't believe it, I'm getting 40mph GPS speed at 5750-5800 SmartCraft RPM. RPM's are perfect, 40mph seems about right and that's a crazy low 4% slip!! Am I missing something?

Sure sounds like a lot of good numbers. I don’t know the RPM ranges on the new Mercury v6’s, but you seem to imply that those are the correct range. Speed seems good, slip low. Maybe they know what they are talking about after all...lol.

Out of curiousity, even though its looking good and you are sounding happy with the results, can you test a larger pitch on it just to get some comparison numbers? I’d be curious to maybe jump up to a 16 and see what happens.

The RPM range is huge for the V6, 5000-5800 RPM's. So I'm not sure if I'm better off at the top end of the range or raise the pitch and drop down a couple hundred RPM's. I agree with you I'd like to see what happens with a larger pitch.

It sounds like you’re dialed in perfectly. The theory being you want to be at the top of the WOT range when lightly loaded so you’re still in the range when heavily loaded.

Very surprised only a 14 pitch, but numbers are excellent if that was a light load.

I've tested a couple different props on my Benny. Came from the factory with the Enertia 17p. Seems to have GREAT all around performance. Good low end handling, good whole shot and excellent top end performance. Hit a rock and dinged it up a little.

Bought a Revolution 4 blade 17p for a spare and tested it out. Couldn't see much difference in low end maneuvering or whole shot. Fuel economy was a negligible difference. Only area I noticed any difference is at WOT. Lost about 4MPH. Not a huge difference but it can be an issue if you're trying to out run a storm or beat your buddy in a drag race!

Put the Enertia back on after it came back from the prop shop!

Back