Prop help 22' tritoon

Polaris192

Reaction score
i have a 22' Bennington tritoon (2000 2275 lx) with a 2007 etec 150 ho. I currently have a 15.5x15p prop (aluminum). Under light load it is only pulling 5200 rpm. At wot it should be closer to 5800-5900. Questions I have are should I drop diameter and pitch to a 14x13p or just drop to a 15x13p? Thank you for any help.

i have a 22' Bennington tritoon (2000 2275 lx) with a 2007 etec 150 ho. I currently have a 15.5x15p prop (aluminum). Under light load it is only pulling 5200 rpm. At wot it should be closer to 5800-5900. Questions I have are should I drop diameter and pitch to a 14x13p or just drop to a 15x13p? Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• 7B8CD19D-4A5C-44CD-989B-D9A5E6DA39ED.jpeg
    7B8CD19D-4A5C-44CD-989B-D9A5E6DA39ED.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 7663FD22-DF96-4B37-BA33-1BEDFBFD1665.jpeg
    7663FD22-DF96-4B37-BA33-1BEDFBFD1665.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 21
I have a 22SSBXP with Yami 150Vmax. I run 5800RPM at 38 MPH..

I would say 1) certainly move up to a SS with your 150 HP. I can see that impacting performance nicely for you. Next, I like the idea of trying a 13p. It should move you up 400 RPM’s and increase your speed/performance.

As for diameter, I will leave that to more knowledgeable people. Not sure.

One final thought too, is your engine mounted in a good spot so it doesn’t sit too low in the water? Sometimes being too low can also create excessive drag and create performance problems too.

I would say 1) certainly move up to a SS with your 150 HP. I can see that impacting performance nicely for you. Next, I like the idea of trying a 13p. It should move you up 400 RPM’s and increase your speed/performance.

As for diameter, I will leave that to more knowledgeable people. Not sure.

One final thought too, is your engine mounted in a good spot so it doesn’t sit too low in the water? Sometimes being too low can also create excessive drag and create performance problems too.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try a 15 x 13p stainless and see how it goes. The cav plate looks good when at cruising speed. I think its a prop issue.

My 2013 22SLX tri-toon (3/4 center toon with strakes) is rated 115 hp and 11 people on placard. Seems like several members here have almost the same boat but with 150 hp. Why is mine limited to 115? Is there some additional supports on the 150 rated boats? Mine has the husky stainless tow bar from factory. Sure would be nice to have 150 horses. Is there a procedure to beef it up and recertify it to higher limits??? What if center toon was replaced with full length toon? hmmmm? Is it because it has cable steering? I just received a Uflex Hytech up to 150 hp kit that was on killer sale at Overtons for $588. And upgraded to swedged and o ring 1500 psi kevlar hoses instead of nylon basic ones in kit.. Would hydraulic steering qualify it as a 150 hp rating as I know it is a requirement on 150 plus motors on a new boat order.

Last edited:
My 2013 22SLX tri-toon (3/4 center toon with strakes) is rated 115 hp and 11 people on placard. Seems like several members here have almost the same boat but with 150 hp. Why is mine limited to 115? Is there some additional supports on the 150 rated boats? Mine has the husky stainless tow bar from factory. Sure would be nice to have 150 horses. Is there a procedure to beef it up and recertify it to higher limits??? What if center toon was replaced with full length toon? hmmmm? Is it because it has cable steering? I just received a Uflex Hytech up to 150 hp kit that was on killer sale at Overtons for $588. And upgraded swedged and o ring 1500 psi hoses. Would hydraulic steering qualify it as a 150 hp rating as I know it is a requirement on 150 plus motors on a new boat order.

Those posting with 150’s have a different hull than you. You have the ETP (Express Tube Package) with the 3/4 center toon. It isn’t a true tritoon, and typically is not described as such by most people.

The others with the 150’s and up have a true tritoon with the SPS (Sport Performance System) hull with the full center pontoon. That is a totally different type of boat hull, ride, performance, etc. set up. It can be found on the S-series and up.

Other higher model boats have an even nicer tritoon set up that you will see sometimes around here called the ESP (Elliptical Sport Package). This is the top of the line true tritoon hull set up. It is found on the G-series and up.

I just went on Benningtons website and did phony order to build a new 22SLX with EPP package which is the Express Tube Package. It has a picture that shows 3/4 toon and power options go up to 150 VMax SHO. They recommend adding hydraulic steering for over 115 hp. Here are pics off of screen. Interesting!!! So.....am I so wrong??? I think my tubes are 25" as that is a requirement noted under picture of hull.IMG_3441.jpgIMG_3439.jpgIMG_3440.jpg

I just went on Benningtons website and did phony order to build a new 22SLX with EPP package which is the Express Tube Package. It has a picture that shows 3/4 toon and power options go up to 150 VMax SHO. They recommend adding hydraulic steering for over 115 hp. Here are pics off of screen. Interesting!!! So.....am I so wrong??? I think my tubes are 25" as that is a requirement noted under picture of hull.View attachment 25649View attachment 25650View attachment 25651

Looks like you are correct on at least being able to go up to 150. Now the question is if that is a recent change up, or was it an option in the past? Does it depend on boat layout? Hmmm... Thanks for sharing that back here though.

Admittedly I do not know very much about the EPP/ETP as compared to the SPS and ESP hulls.

Most definitely go to a 13 pitch. I strongly suggest using aluminum first before the ss. Much cheaper to do and the ss will drop the rpm more than aluminum. On my Etec 13 pitch, I changed to ss and lost 150 rpm but still run 5700 rpm. And be sure logs are clean as slime slows you down real fast. Also found the Solas props work better than the Evinrude props for my Etec 115 HO

Back