Prop Help

azray007

Reaction score
Good day everyone,

I just realized there is a separate prop forum.  I need a little advice and help.   :unsure:

My prop is a Yamaha Reliance 14.25 x 17 and I have a 24 SSWX SPS with a Yamaha F200B outboard.  We have the center storage triple toon and our boat is almost always loaded down with people and at least 3-4 Yeti coolers.  On a calm day with little wind and current, my engine RPM's max out around 5200 RPM.  We have not, but plan to start pulling a rather large tube.  Do you think I should move down to a Reliance 14.25 x 13?  My top speed is around 36 mph loaded.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Might be too big of a step down from 17 to 13. Try a 15 first.

See this topic.

Andy has your setup...

I have the reliance in a 15 and love it. Also make sure you have the sds hub. It is standard on the f200 to my knowledge. 

I have the reliance in a 15 and love it. Also make sure you have the sds hub. It is standard on the f200 to my knowledge. 

With the 15, how many RPM's do you hit at full throttle?  Also, on the F200, what is considered too high a RPM?

Lastly, what hole is your engine mounted in?  Mine appears to be #2 where the Bennington bulletins say theirs are mounted in hole #1.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am mounted on the lowest hole. My rpm's are around 5800 wot. My understanding is 6000 is where you want to be so I am pretty close. 

I am mounted on the lowest hole. My rpm's are around 5800 wot. My understanding is 6000 is where you want to be so I am pretty close. 

Thanks for posting this.  I am struggling with this problem at the moment.  When I switched out the dual ellipticals the the tritoon SPS package, they installed my F150 in hole #2.  Since then, I can't get above 5,200 RPM.  In researching the Yamaha Performance Bulletins, I noticed that they list Hole #1 as being used.  When I showed this to my dealer, they thought it must be a typo.  We're planning on moving my motor to hole #3, but I think that may not be enough.  I'm going to recommend moving it to hole #4.

With the 15, how many RPM's do you hit at full throttle?  Also, on the F200, what is considered too high a RPM?

Also, what hole is your engine mounted in?  Mine appears to be #2 where the Bennington bulletins say theirs are mounted in hole #1.

Thank you!

Ray, 6,000 RPM should be WOT max for the Yamahas.  5,800-6,000 is the spec.

Ray, 6,000 RPM should be WOT max for the Yamahas.  5,800-6,000 is the spec.

Thank you!  I take my boat in tomorrow for the 20 hour service, that is 6 hours overdue.  I'm going to ask my dealer to drop the engine down to position 3 or 4 and change the prop out to a 15 and see it that helps.  Anyone have any recommendations for how many holes I should ask them to drop my motor down?  I'm in hole #2 now.

As always thank you everyone for taking the time to read my posts and offer your expert advice!

When I say all the way down I am in the top hole.

SAM_3583_zps015d1ac5.jpg

Here is a picture showing my motor mount.  In this picture, I am mounted in Hole #2, which is the 2nd from the top.  You can see holes #1, 3 & 4 are empty.  So to raise my motor, I would need to use hole #3 or hole #4.

large.MotorMount4.JPG.160095e2cb2eb0942254cc98dfb15999.JPG

Is your motor a 20 or 25 inch shaft length? That would be a huge difference. Our F150 motor is in hole #1 on our SPS hulled 21 SLX. We have 25 inch shaft.

It was originally a 20" shaft, but when they put the new tritoon SPS package on, they changed it to a 25" shaft, so it's a 25".

Where do you look to see how long the drive shaft is?

Unless someone has modified your engine (as they did mine) the model number of your motor will tell you.  For example, when I purchased my engine, it was an F150LA.  The L indicates that it is a 20" drive shaft.  An X is a 25" drive shaft.  There are two other lengths: Short (S; 15") and XXtra Long (U; 30").

shaft-length-diagram-211x330.jpg

Hey Andy, do you have another pic of the deflector just to the right of your center tube under the deck?  I've thought of having something like that welded on my Express, and seeing how this is done would give me a good hint at how to do it....

Unless someone has modified your engine (as they did mine) the model number of your motor will tell you.  For example, when I purchased my engine, it was an F150LA.  The L indicates that it is a 20" drive shaft.  An X is a 25" drive shaft.  There are two other lengths: Short (S; 15") and XXtra Long (U; 30").

shaft-length-diagram-211x330.jpg

Thank you tcpip95.  My motor is a F200XB.   I have the 25" drive shaft.  My dealer is going to put the 15 pitch prop on.  Should I also ask them to move my motor to the #1 motor mount hole?

I have what I feel is excessive "splashing" by the motor.  Typically boats I've had or road on had a nice smooth water dispersion from the rear by the motor.  Mine kinda reminds me of a class V rapids.  I hate to do two changes at once, but after reading the article tcpip95 provided, I'm thinking my motor needs to mounted lower instead of higher.

Based on my Yamaha prop selector outcomes, I feel a step down from a 17" pitch to a 15" is still a good idea.  (The Yamaha Prop Selector actually keeps putting me at a 13" pitch for my boat and motor...but it does not take into consideration the length of the boat and whether or not it's a triple toon.)

One other thing, when underway my ladder in the raised position drags in the water as well.  I think that's where I get the class V rapids look...  Maybe lowering the engine will take care of that and push the rear of the boat up?

Wish me luck, I drop it off in a couple hours for the 20 hour service and motor/prop changes.   B)

Thank you tcpip95 for the great article!

Back