prop issue?

pcvaughn

Reaction score
After 6 hours of engine break in of our yamaha 115 on a-2275 FSI, and when I get it up to full throttle - 6300RPMs, the engine starts to bounce or hop. When I decreased the RPMs to 5000, the engine appears to run smooth. The overall gps speed reports 19.4 mphs at both 5000 or 6300 rpms. Does anyone think this is a prop issue due to cavatation? I have the dealer supplied prop. Any thoughts on what size prop is right? Should we be getting more MPH when the rpms go up?

After 6 hours of engine break in of our yamaha 115 on a-2275 FSI, and when I get it up to full throttle - 6300RPMs, the engine starts to bounce or hop. When I decreased the RPMs to 5000, the engine appears to run smooth. The overall gps speed reports 19.4 mphs at both 5000 or 6300 rpms. Does anyone think this is a prop issue due to cavatation? I have the dealer supplied prop. Any thoughts on what size prop is right? Should we be getting more MPH when the rpms go up?
Your redline should be 6000rpm. Also, that boat should hit 23mp with a 90 horse engine. With the 115, you should get at least 25mp, maybe a bit more. Doesn't sound like much, but it is.

If you're hitting 6300rpm, then first thing that comes to mind is your pitch. You need more, or so I figure.

What are your current prop specs?

I will check out the prop size - problem is my boat is already at the lake - an hour away. While I check that out - does Team Bennington have a recommended prop/pitch size that should be on a 115 and a 22 ft toon? I have the 2275 FSI and Yamaha 4 Stroke. We normally just have the family and the dog - 650+ pounds including our gear.

I will check out the prop size - problem is my boat is already at the lake - an hour away. While I check that out - does Team Bennington have a recommended prop/pitch size that should be on a 115 and a 22 ft toon? I have the 2275 FSI and Yamaha 4 Stroke. We normally just have the family and the dog - 650+ pounds including our gear.
Please contact your dealer for prop assistance. Bennington provides a prop chart to help guide dealers, as well as performance bulletins prepared by technical personnel from the engine manufacturers; however, the guide is just that...a starting point. Often times, prop sizes must be adjusted due to altitude and a variety of other reasons. It's an art, not a science! (Isn't that what the doctors say?) Seriously though, don't get discouraged. Sometimes it just takes a few tries. Good luck.

Last edited:
Please contact your dealer for prop assistance. Bennington provides a prop chart to help guide dealers, as well as performance bulletins prepared by technical personnel from the engine manufacturers; however, the guide is just that...a starting point. Often times, prop sizes must be adjusted due to altitude and a variety of other reasons. It's an art, not a science! (Isn't that what the doctors say?) Seriously though, don't get discouraged. Sometimes it just takes a few tries. Good luck.
After checking the prop size we have a 13 5/8 X 13 this looks like the problem will take to the dealer and see what they can do.

Thanks

Back