Prop Performance

PKNewt

Reaction score
On my 2011 SLI 22 (25" pontoons) with a F70 Yamaha and the factory provided 13 pitch aluminum prop, I can reach 21 MPH wide open, top down at 5,500 RPM. It also pulls kids on tubes and skis just fine, although slows considerably in turns as you would expect. Of course I would like more speed to get further away from the house in a reasonable length of time, but it sounds like I am right there where everything should be with this setup. Anyone have any great experiences from changing anything? (besides trading my 70 in on a 115 or the Benny on a Nautique)

You could go to a 11 pitch prop this would give you 200 to 300 more rpms better acceleration and 1 to 2 + mph more top speed if you do not have a spare prop I would get one and try it, you always need a spare prop. But don't expect a huge difference. These motors like close to 6000 rpms for best performance.

Thanks for the good advice! I do not have a spare prop so this is a great excuse to buy one. Knock on wood, I don't even have a scratch on the skeg or prop after 9 years and 130 hours on the water- but as soon as I say that I'll take the prop off on a rock next weekend....

Thanks for the good advice! I do not have a spare prop so this is a great excuse to buy one. Knock on wood, I don't even have a scratch on the skeg or prop after 9 years and 130 hours on the water- but as soon as I say that I'll take the prop off on a rock next weekend....
Do not spend the money for a stainless prop just get a alum. one should work good on a low HP motor. Let the forum know how this works out.

Lift the motor up a few holes as long as it doesn't cavitate in the corners to much you will get speed and more rpms.

Back