Prop wobbling

Jcamp

Reaction score
Hi all new here, I have an 18 spxdp 23 with an 150 , I noticed that my prop had a little side to side play so i replaced the hub kit torked it to 58fp but still have play, is this normal, it's a merc with the inertia prop

Make sure you have the correct size thrust washer. I don't ever recall on any of my outboards any side to side play.

Hopefully it's not seating tight. Like bass said, check the trust washer. When you have the prop off, wiggle the shaft. If the shaft wiggles, BOAT. I'm certain my Merc 150 has zero shaft wiggle. Make sure the lock nut isn't bottoming out or running out of threads either. You might have the wrong hub kit.

Last edited:
By BOAT, I mean break out another thousand.

If the shaft is loose, don't run it. You may be getting water in your gearbox. Take it to the shop ASAP before the long lines for spring service start. Early summer repairs can mean the end of boating season if the shops are booked out a couple months. Hopefully your motor is still under warranty.

When you say side to side, or wobble, do you mean when you turn it by hand you can see it turn with a little wobble, or do you mean it wobbles as if the shaft was smaller than the prop? If as in my first description, it might be that you hit something submerged or even a Lake bottom, slightly bending the prop shaft.

I need to correct my statement above. I just put my Enertia prop on for the season, and it wiggles just like the OP said above.

I still have the Flo Torq 4 hub kit instructions, and it said after installing, the prop will have some forwards and backwards play, and rotate 10 degrees. This this is necessary for the prop to spin freely if the hub sheers after hitting an object.

I stand corrected. And thanks to the OP for asking this when he did or I would have thought something was wrong with my lower unit!!!

The shaft is rock solid. The prop is loose.

Back