Propping for a heavy load

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
Yet another prop question for the group. This one is a little different than usual though. First off, here are my boat and prop specs from last year in the specs thread:

Nick's Boat

• Boat Model --------- 2275 GCW
  • Model Year --------- 2013
  • Tube Option --------  ESP w/56 gallon tank
  • Under Deck Wave Shield -------- Yes
  • Power Option -----  2013 Yamaha F200XA, 3.3L v6, lowest mounting position
  • Prop Specs ---------- Yamaha Saltwater Series II, 15-3/4 x 15P, Polished Stainless Steel

Light Load Specs:

• Performance ----------  39.5mph @6000 RPM - Elevation: 4,484'
  • Loading -------- Light load, 2 adults, ~15-20 gallons of gas
  • Notes ------- Optimum trim level was around 1/2. Porpoising would occur between 1/2 and 3/4. Pretty smooth water but not glass. 

Heavy Load Specs:

• Performance ----------  35.2mph @5600 RPM - Elevation: 3,606'
  • Loading -------- 5 adults, 2 dogs, ~56 gallons of fuel, 2 massive 120qt coolers, food, water and camping supplies for a 5+ day camping trip. 
  • Notes ------- Optimum trim was once again around 1/2. No porpoising above that but speed would slip. Slightly choppy water conditions. 

So here's the question... I've noticed that with really heavy loads, I'm now seeing my RPMs down in the 5400-5500 range and my speed is dropping to 33-ish. I don't care much about the speed drop, but I'm starting to wonder if I should have a 'heavy load' prop since that's usually how my boat is loaded. This last trip I started out with 4 big guys, 3 dogs, 80 gallons of gas and then a ton of camping equipment, beer, food, water, etc. Sometimes it's a bit lighter, but that's pretty average for me. Does it seem like a good idea to you guys to consider propping down for that? I would imagine the solution would be a pitch drop to maybe 13? Or are there other props out there that are designed for pushing heavy loads rather than hole shot or top speed? Or should I stop worrying about lugging it down to the 5500 rpm range most of the time? Thanks for the input. 

I am sure somebody with more knowledge will offer up specific advice, but you may want to try Ken at propgods as this is what he does for a living. He'd probably be willing just to chat.

You might think about a 4 bladed prop.  They are better for hole shot and cruising.  We changed to one and got lower rpm's for same cruising speed. 

I bought a PowerTech prop and called the company to get a recommendation.  Been very happy with it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you run WOT all the time?

Have you thought about a bigger boat? Just kidding. Man that a load sounds like you have fun and that's the main thing. Have fun and enjoy the Bennington.

Do you run WOT all the time?
No. Usually around 3500-4500 RPM cruising speed. WOT for when I need to get somewhere fast like when a storm is threatening. I ran WOT for about 35 miles back to the marina on the last day of my last trip because of a storm, so I had plenty of time to sit and think about it. 

Have you thought about a bigger boat? Just kidding. Man that a load sounds like you have fun and that's the main thing. Have fun and enjoy the Bennington.
You know just saying that to someone who has suffered from PADs is on par with handing an alcoholic a drink! No more new boats for me for a loooong while!

The rpms are still within spec for WOT. I think you are fine. At least if it were me, I would spend the extra $600 on something other than a prop. Scotch maybe. Speaking of scotch, I think I will thank you.

Yep. I'm a bourbon guy. I'll wait 'til I've dinged this one up a bit more and then think about it again. :)

A local TC distillery sells their own distilled spirits and 1, 2, 3 liter charred mini oak barrels and you can age yourself. Takes 3-4 months to finish (quick because of surface area to volume of barrel). I've done ~15 over past several years - mostly bourbon, but rye whiskey and scotch also. Very tasty! Guess I could have also put this in the hobby thread.

I do brew my own beer also.

I home brew too. Just about gave it all up and sold everything until after my 11th batch when I realized a brewing cleaner called "One Step" was really just step one, with step two being a sanitizer. Once I realized that, and bought some sanitizer, my 12th batch (a Porter) was as good as any Porter I've bought at the store.

I did one full grain batch. Decided 8 hours of brewing in a row was too much. Back to kits. Four hours is plenty.

Kaydano - Ditto on the full grain. Mostly kits too, although I've done some partial grains. I've probably made more porters and vanilla porters than anything else - a favorite. I think I've brewed at least 25 or 30 batches but if the kids help me bottle they always end up taking a 12 pk or so with them. Easy payment for their help.

I've only had one batch that ended up not being good and poured all the bottles out! Not sure what I did wrong.

I had a really bad batch once, but instead of dumping it, I buried it way back under the sink below the bar.  I forgot about it and found it about a year later.  It was actually pretty good after sitting all that time.  Those "born on dates" are a bunch of crap.  Beer gets better with age.  But, wouldn't go much past a year or two though!  Whenever the local grocery store has beer close to the "expiration" date on sale dirt cheap, I load up.

Back