Props

Biker_Ed

Reaction score
I just purchased my first boat; a 2005 Bennington 2275FSI. My boat came equipped with a Yamaha 115hp four stroke engine, the engine came with an 11 pitch prop. With this prop and three people onboard and 1/2 tank of fuel I can go 24mph based on my gps. If I try to go any faster I hit the rev-limiter. Should I be going for a 13 pitch prop or is this the correct pitch prop if the boat is fully loaded?

Thank you for your help with this.

Eddie

Every boat engine combination is different, once you get it on the water and get some baselines to go from then you will have an idea which way to go as far as props.

One option is to contact Bennington Customer Service and see what they suggest for that boat/engine combination.

Most owners would say that you should be able to just hit the published engine redline with the boat lightly loaded and 1/2 tank of fuel. If you're hitting a rev limiter, you probably need more pitch.

It should be up to the selling dealer to properly setup your boat. You also want to make sure that the prop doesn't ventilate in a tight corner--and that it accelerates properly.

Yes, you are correct on going up with the pitch, think of the pitch of a prop as changing gears in a car, of you go up a gear you will go faster if you go down you will slow down but your engine will rev higher.

I have a 2012 75hp 4 stroke with a 12 pitch and I can get 22 to 24 mph you might want to try a 15, call around to some dealers to see if they have a used prop or two you can try out before you make the purchase.

Back